7 Month old Pullets won't mate with roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woolymama, Oct 23, 2009.

1. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Okay...so here's my question - I have a mixed breed flock, all about 7 months old. No one has laid an egg yet. I have 2 roosters - a GLW who is the Alpha, and a Blue Cochin who gets along swimmingly with the GLW. I have seen them both try to mate the girls. They each have a particular girl they generally go for. The problem is that I have never once seen the girls "accept" them. Usually they go all squawk-y and crazy and run and hide. I hear it all day - the girls throwing a fit whenever one of the boys tries to mount.
    Shouldn't these girls be a little more accommodating at their age? And if they're not ready to mate, does that mean they are also not ready to lay?
    Chickens! I swear![​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Give them some time and they will be ready and willing to accept the roo. If he is too aggressive with them, he is probably young and given time, he will settle down and be a good boy. If he really gets carried away to a point that he is injuring them, he needs to be isolated from the girls for a little while.

So I would give them some time.

3. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    yes that is what it means. Hens not laying will not stand for the rooster. They do not generally accept it right off when they do start laying. Often in caged chickens with too high a rooster to hen ratio, there will continue to be a lot of chasing by the roosters and not standing by the hens. You may find you have too many roosters which will make life miserable for the hens. This varies with roosters, space per chicken, and variety of chicken.

4. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    7 months and not laying, is it typical for the breeds you have?

5. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:I wish I knew.
    I have 2 Black Orpington girls, 1 Ameraucana girl, 1 Jersey Giant girl, a Brahma - Cochin cross girl and a GLW girl. I thought they'd be laying by now.
    I also have 2 RIR girls and 4 BR girls but they are younger - about 17 weeks.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wish I knew.
    I have 2 Black Orpington girls, 1 Ameraucana girl, 1 Jersey Giant girl, a Brahma - Cochin cross girl and a GLW girl. I thought they'd be laying by now.
    I also have 2 RIR girls and 4 BR girls but they are younger - about 17 weeks.

For your orps, your JG and your brahma/cochin cross it's not unheard of for them to not be laying yet.
    My brahma girls started laying anywhere from 5 months to 9 1/2 months. Late maturing breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by