7 month old Rhode Island Red ailing - weak and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theCandEs, Sep 4, 2010.

1. theCandEs

theCandEs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    I have a Rhode Island Red hen that is ailing. I'm not sure what is wrong with her and I was hoping you all could help. She is 7 months old, and up until yesterday, was acting completely normal. Then, she started acting strange. She is very lethargic and weak. She was just standing in the corner of the building, even when I let them out. She seems puffy and swollen in her neck and abdomen.

This morning, she seemed a bit more chipper, but still not back to normal, so we put her in a pen inside the building and gave her some straw to sleep on. She's been sitting most of the day. She has been eating and drinking, but not with a lot of enthusiasm. I gave her a small amount of bread with olive oil on it, and she did eat it. She can fly and walk, but she seems weak. Her poop seems normal now, but yesterday it looked a bit yellow. Her eyes seem normal, no discharge.

We have bought antibiotic, wormer (none of ours have been de-wormed), and electrolyte solution. I don't know what to give her since I don't know what is wrong. Since it's the weekend, and a holiday, I don't know if a vet can be found, at least not until Tues.

What should we do? What should I give her? I'm a first-timer and I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

2. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    check for mites! i have an on going battle with them and just a mild mite attack on my GLW makes her that way

mainly dust her with some prozap poultry dust and she how she does, that fails then worm her and give her the vitamins (give her the vitamins anyway)

both fail then use the anti-biotic.

3. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks so much, Aj1911. I will try that. I will try the dewormer, too.

4. theCandEs

Sep 4, 2010
    Well, I don't know what to think. She seems better, but her poo is tan and very smelly. Is this cocciodis (sp)? She is up and walking around in her isolation pen, and she really wants out. I gave her Wazine today. I hope that is safe to do. She is eating and drinking and almost back to normal. I was going to give electrolytes tomorrow and continue to keep her in the pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by