7 month old rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenchick123, Jan 15, 2015.

1. chickenchick123

chickenchick123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can suggest wether my roo will grow spurs? At 7 months he has little bumps, but then so do the hens. Do all Roos have spurs or is it just random?
    He's cross between my Buff Pekin roo and light Sussex hen. He towers over all the ladies in the flock, anyone know when he will reach full size?
    Last question was on temperament, his 'dad' roo was lovey and gentle. Pip, (he pipped first!), my 7 month old knows I'm in charge, never challenges me. Will this temperament usually continue? Or may he change as he reaches maturity? I don't mind keeping a gentle roo, but I have children and want them to feel comfortable with all their chickens. I hoping he will stay as gentle as his dad, RIP our Glen, he tried to take on a fox Xmas day, saved his ladies but sadly not himself.
    Hoping someone can help on here, thanks in advance! X :D

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He will eventually have full blown spurs - he's just a teen aged cockerel about to enter roosterhood. The fact that his sire was not human aggressive gives hope that he will retain the same sort of personality.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Absolutely, he will grow spurs by the time his is about a year old. By then his true temperament will show too.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

It is never a good idea to try trusting a rooster around young children. A rooster may not challenge an adult, but will think a child is challenging him simply by looking at him. The child will be "down on his level."

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I hope he turns out well; just pay attention as he matures, walk through him, don't let him mate right in front of you, and be there with the children at all times. Human aggressive cocks need to go, and good boys are an asset in the flock. Mary

6. chickenchick123

Aug 1, 2013
    Thanks for your replies. The children don't go in with the chickens without me any way. I will just continue 'walk through' him. Perhaps get the children to do this too if they are about. Generally if I'm in the garden I'm busy and I just keep walking when they try and get under my feet. I've taught the kids to do this too when they take their afternoon corn all the chickens get excited and run down the garden to them, so I tell them just keep walking they will always move out of the way.! As for pip he is always last to eat due to his nature so hasn't come at the kids so far anyway.

So are they full grown at a year then?

X :D

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yes, they are about full grown at a year. If he has been raised under a rooster and older hens, I think they tend to be nicer...... but how old are your children? Until they are about 6-8 years old, they can be very vulnerable to an attack, just due to their height. Be aware, if they are older, it is not such a problem, although, a rooster can give painful floggings.

Mrs K

8. chickenchick123

Aug 1, 2013
    Thank you, my kids are 4,8 and 9, my 4 year old is very tall often mistaken for a 6 year old! They are all tall. But only my 9 year old goes to them on his own, he's very good with animals.
    I'm hoping that he will stay nice as time goes on. I have 1 older hen who is still in charge of the rooster and all other hens, yet she jumps up for a cuddle with me! She will put him in to his place! X :)

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Absolutely......start them now.

It's more about truly feeling calm and confident around a rooster,
    feel/show no fear, they can feel it and it makes them nervous and more prone to attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by