7 month old Silkie 'hen' started crowing? with pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlehouse, Nov 3, 2011.

1. littlehouse

littlehouse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I was pretty sure my little Silkie was a hen, 'she' even sang the egg song a few weeks ago, though I couldn't find any egg, but the last two mornings she's done a sort of crow, wings flapping, head up and all. Not til a good 3 hours after sunrise thankfully! We lost the next-girl-up on the pecking order a few days ago to a fox, so she's just gone up a rung, could the excitement have gone to her head, or is this wishful thinking. She's about seven months, grew in adult plumage a month or two ago, though she's very small, presumably a little stunted from an illness early on.

I should mention that 'she' doesn't have male feathering, no sickle tail feathers or saddle as such, her comb and wattle look pretty hen-ish, and she doesn't display any of the usual testosterone behaviours I've observed in any other cockeral, if anything, no strutting, rushing-the-competition, showing an interest in the girls or the usual practice crowing. In fact she's the most timid little thing I've ever seen!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Pictures would help. Hens can crow and roosters can sing the egg song so neither of those is really an indication of gender.....

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Yea, my Blue Silkie "hen" crowed after I bought her, too. I swear they transform into boys at my house. Silkies really do fool you.

4. littlehouse

Jul 25, 2011
    Uh-oh! OK, so now that I think about it, his hackles are pretty pointy, and his pompom is more of a fireball streaking out behind him than a dandelion head. I'll get some pics up as soon as I get a chance, but it sounds like Ninette (for her nine toes) is now Napoleon! I'll have to get him a mounting block if he's ever to catch one of the girls though! He weighs about a quarter of our RIR girl, Big Red Bertha, and he runs away whenever the girls go near him!

5. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. littlehouse

Jul 25, 2011
    Ok, I haven't posted pics here before, so lets see if this works -

Ninette La Phoenix or Mandarin Napoleon?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had trouble getting a clear shot as every time I squatted down, they all ran over thinking I had food!

7. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

His 100% rooster.
    looks like one of my boys when he was that age!

8. littlehouse

Jul 25, 2011
    Poop. Sneaky little blighter has been in drag all this time!

Thanks though. [​IMG]

So tell me about Silkie roos, do they crow as much as other breeds as a general rule? So far, Napoleon has only done it at 9am for about 3 minutes, and that's it for the day, but then he's only 2 days in. Is it pretty likely he's still just working into the full swing of things, and will be kazooing away day and night in no time? I'm just wondering how far away from the kids bedrooms we'll have to move the chook run..

Also, would his colouring be considered buff columbian? He's got buff laced black hackles, wing and tail feathers, but otherwise is a gingery red colour.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Uhmmm.. I have the exact same looking Silkie roo, and he crows.. quite often. Not as loud as a full sized rooster though. He does it in spurts of 10 minutes. Never just one crow. He does it more when there is construction for some reason [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is very well mannered and friendly. My neighbours don't mind the crowing at all, and he doesn't usually crow after noon.

10. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    He's a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by