7 month old silkie not roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frizzleman74, Aug 20, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    just bought a silkie from a local fair and as i put it in its new home it didnt roost at night. This is its second time in her new home and i got out tonight and there she is sleeping on the ground i just place her back up in the roost (about 2 ft high) What should i do? Is this normal? Is it that she just never learned how to roost? Thanks

2. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Most silkies do not roost. Unless you raise them with birds that do they usually won't. Might think
    about getting another one for it to cuddle on the floor with [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, many silkies don't roost. I've had mine since they were chicks, and they were raised with d'uccles, so they do roost. However, my roost is very low. As short as it sounds, 24 inches is still rather high for a silkie unless you have a ladder available. They can't fly worth a hoot. You could try a chicken ladder, but at that age I'm not sure whether it'd learn or not. [​IMG] I just don't like the idea of a chicken sleeping on the floor due to poo issues (seems they'd be sleeping in it).

4. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    exactly, i have another silkie keeping it company! but by keeping on putting them up there on the roost at night will they eventually learn? or is it pointless?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by