7 month old SL Wyandotte not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OCChicken, Nov 16, 2009.

1. OCChicken

OCChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Our Hens have all been laying for atleast 2 months now except the Wyandotte. She is very anti social, and won't let humans anywhere near her, no pre-laying traits, nothing. What do you think? We have started to call her "Crockpot" for the last month. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

One of my SLW pullets just started laying last friday....one day before she turned 32 weeks so don't give up yet.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    My Blue Wyandotte is exactly the same. She's 30 weeks old and the only bird in the flock who still hasn't laid, is not squatting, not interested in the nests, and isn't interested at all in us humans. I don't relish her fighting me, so I rarely pick her up. But, she seems to be normal; she's poofy, healthy, a round beach ball of a bird with a red cushion comb and wattles. I've heard they are slow to mature.

4. OCChicken

May 1, 2009
    Ours is the only one that hasn't started to molt though. The others are molting, yet still laying, strange.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Interesting that yours are laying during a molt. I only have 1 pullet who is molting, and she has stopped laying. The rest of the gang, except the Wy, are laying eggs. I just found out that pullets often have a "mini-molt" around 9 months old, and their first big molt is at 18 months or so. My girl has begun her "mini", I guess, at 30 weeks old.

I'm feeding extra protein, to help ease re-feathering, because feathers are mostly protein. We have a surplus of fish right now, so I feed the scraps.

6. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

My "Dots" are coming along slow too - around 30 weeks, not all are laying yet either. Then.. we have one that wants to lay under the coop :)

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Me too! I have 2 GLW 5/15 and 2 SLW pullets 7/20 one roo SLW 7/20 and a barred Rock 7/20
    No eggs...... nothing! I live in the sunshine state Jax FL.

They don't appear to be molting - they just EAT and EAT and EAT!!!!

They no likee me to touch them or hold them. I have. My GLW are about 6 pounds each and the rooster is about 6.5 pounds, the SLW one is 5 pounds, one is 4 and my barred Rock is about 4.5 lb.

They seem happy and healthy and eventually, I hope, they get around to the business of making my breakfast!!!!
    Cal
    Jax FL:cool:

8. OCChicken

May 1, 2009
    Well at 8 1/2 months of age she finally layed her first egg yesterday, a nice little 2" tall one. At least she is now off of "death row" [​IMG]

After 3 weeks of getting 1-2 eggs a day during our 15-30 degree weather we were having, they all decided they would start laying again consistently. We are now getting 5 eggs a day, even with the lows at night in the upper 20's, and highs in only the 40's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by