7 Month old with watery poop..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sara1226, Nov 15, 2015.

1. sara1226

sara1226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Hello everyone, we just got a 7 month old RIR from a friend of mine. I just did a vet check on her a few days ago and he said she looked really healthy. Now within the last 2 days she all of a sudden has very watery poop. This morning she shot pure water out like a faucet! It was awful. What the heck happened? I'm using a heated waterer, but I put ACV in it every so often, so there should be no bacteria overgrowth in it. I have started treating with corid, because since she is in a new home she may be exposed to new strains of cocci giving her trouble. But is 7 months old too old for a hen to usually develop cocci issues?

I also wormed her for 3 days with safeguard when I got her home as a percaution. Is there anything else I can give her to help??

Advice please and thank you...

Sara

2. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Anyone with suggestions? Now I got 2 more pooping watery. Help!!

3. kiara0927

kiara0927 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Its possible that the hen maybe to hot, watery poop is how they cool themselves off, im not sure on what the temp is there but i know from exp the more water they will drink when their hot and that leads to bad! watery poop,also a change in diet will cause this to happen, check out this website to see if you can match the problem, i hope this helps. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

1 person likes this.
  4. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Can't be too hot, it's in the 40's here. I live in northern Wisconsin (unfortunately). Will do some more reading.

5. steutsch054

steutsch054 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Sometimes chickens just get watery poop. When mine get the squirts, I add a little oatmeal into their diet. Oatmeal absorbs water in the bow of the chicken. Hope it helps!

6. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Something is horribly wrong! One of the hens is just sleeping and has stopped eating and drinking. My husband said there was a bit of algae or bacteria growth on the water fount, he went to clean it and it was slimy. Do they have some sort of bacteria infection?? Someone please help!!!

7. steutsch054

May 21, 2013
    If they aren't eating or drinking it means they are dehydrated. Get some elecrelights (they sell them in the meds departments at your local farm store) and mix it with water. Put it in a syringe and force the water down their throats. Give them a shot of penicillin. They might have some kind of bacterial infection. I'll look further into it. Good luck!

8. steutsch054

May 21, 2013
    It is also very possible that the chicken may have Coccidia. It is a very nasty parasite in the bowel of the animal. It usually dose not show signs until it is too late. We recently had a goat who acquired this nasty parasite. She died within hours of her showing signs. Signs include; diarrhea, loss of appetite and water consumption, weight loss and decreased egg production. It spreads very rapidly. If you suspect your chicken does have it, treat all your animals. Contact your vet to get special medison. Antibiotics won't cut it. Our dogs and 5 of our goats got it AFTER the sick goat died. It is highly contagious to other animals. Humans aren't as susceptible to it but it is possible to get it.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure they are drinking the Corid. Check the heated waterer to make sure the waterer is not over-heating the water. I use heated water bowls for dogs in my chicken coop in winter. They only come on when temps are 35F and below, and water is only kept from freezing, not warm. I once used a heated metal base under my metal waterer, and it made the water too hot, perhaps from a malfunction. I would not heat the water until it is freezing. If you clean the waterers twice a week with soap and a scrubber, they will be fine to use in winter time. If you are still worried tomorrow, you could get a few stool samples for your vet to test for worms and cocci. They also may have diarrhea due to all of the worming.

10. sara1226

Apr 15, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you everyone, I did the electrolytes and we had to force some antibiotics and corid down her throat (mixed with water of course). Called the vet and he said it was ok to do both. Will bring a stool sample in the am, hopefully she will make it through the night. I think she will because she started eating and drinking on her own. We also gave her a warm bath and a blow dry.. Which she LOVED!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by