7 month Rooster Black Comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cvillena0311, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Cvillena0311

Cvillena0311 New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    One day his comb is red and the next it looks bluish black. We live in New York state, however it has not been cold enough for frostbite this fall. We also have a light in their coop to heat it at night. The comb has changed from red to bluish black to back to red with just tips blue. Here is a pic of our Buff Orpington, when his comb was blue.
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess is that he may have a weak heart or heart problems. This can often cause a discolored, darkened, or blue comb because of poor circulation. I know, for example, that some of my males develop dark combs when they get extremely excited (but, the combs turn red when they've calmed down again).

3. Simone Van Eijck

Simone Van Eijck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2017
    I recently got a buff Orpington from someone whose neighbors complained about his crowing. I introduced him to my flock of established 4 girls. 3 days later, his comb went dark, like yours. I postulated that he might be dehydrated because I didn't see him drink from the nipple feeder, and maybe he didn't know how it worked. I gave him a bucket of water and he drank desperately on and off for around 5 mins - sooo thirsty (I'm ashamed). Later the same day, his comb was perfect and has remained that way.
    Incidentally, not sure it's relevant- I had an outbreak of infectious bronchitis in a nearby enclosure of teenager chickens around the same time and I wonder whether he brought it in (should have isolated him). I mention it in case there are others who notice that link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by