7 Months and No Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woolymama, Oct 19, 2009.

1. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Ok, I know chickens will lay when they are good and ready.....but now I am feeling like I am doing something wrong. I have a flock of 7 month old hens - a Wynadotte, 2 Orpingtons, 1 Jersey Giant, an Ameraucana, and a Brahma and not a one of them is laying. I wasn't too worried until my neighbor - who got her cochin at the same farm on the same day (and the exact same age!!) told me her cochin has been laying for about a month now. What gives?
    Incidentally I also have 2 RIR's and 4 Barred Rock girls that are 18 weeks old in a different pen and I've got zip from them as well. They get layer pellets and oyster shell, plenty of fresh water with ACV, and even rice with cod liver oil every week along with any other treats I think they'd like.
    They can't be hiding the eggs because we have them in a large but enclosed pen. They are by all observations very happy and healthy. Just no eggs.
    Is there anything I am missing here????
    [​IMG]

2. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Anything else I should be doing - or not doing?

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    My Welsummer was born in March and she isn't laying yet, either! Some are just late bloomers. [​IMG]

Shelly

4. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    I have the same problem, except that mine are free range. My friends' chickens have been laying eggs, and those hens are from the same farm as mine, although they are RIRs and mine are Americaunas.
    I was wondering if it has to do with the amount of sunlight?

5. The ruler of the roost

The ruler of the roost Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Carson City, NV
    Chickens need an average of 14 hours of "sunlight" per day. Also consider this to be a time when they are molting - which most chickens stop laying during this time. Also, make sure that you are providing them with a proper amount of nutrition (laying mash/pellets; oyster shell, etc..)

Don't be discouraged, they WILL eventually lay! [​IMG]

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I've heard it's not unusual for Ameraucanas to not lay til at least 6 months of age...some not until 9. Some of it does seem to be breed-specific.

Shelly

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Give em more time. They'll surprise you one day!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    You're doing everything right as far as I can tell from your post! I've got a few girls (McMurray Hatchery girls) that are pushing up on 7 months now and a few heritage breeds that are almost 8 months that are yet to lay... They will start any day now! Keep your head up!
    [​IMG]

9. suzannaski

suzannaski Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Berlin
    Thanks for the moral support. Based on the thread for "when do chickens start laying", the age range for Americaunas was 14-26 weeks, and based on what the farmer who sold me the chicks said for laying, I figured they were old enough to start laying.
    As for the sunlight, if I need to add to their sunlight exposure, can I use any type of light bulb? and should I have the light on a timer?
    Yes, I do give them layer pellets in addition to their free range manure pile buffet.
    I guess I'll let them do their thing for a while longer.
    Oh- what time of day to hens lay eggs? I've heard its usually mid-morning, and I've also heard its "whenever".

ps, I love the cowgirl chicken avatar!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    My easter egger just gave us her first egg at 29 weeks - take a long time sometimes! I wonder if that means they'll lay for a longer period of time on the other end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by