7 months old, 5 laying for 2 months, 1 hasnt laid - How Normal is it??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilBizzy, Dec 20, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 6 girls that are RIR mixes. Four have been laying for quite some time now, and several weeks after the 4, another one joined in on the egg laying. One is slacking.
    I know it's normal for them to vary on what age they start laying, but they all came from the same place, and this one is really , really behind the others as far as laying goes.
    I have 2 chickens that escape the run on a regular basis. I have followed them, and did find the one was stashing eggs at a neighbors house, but followed the other around, and she isn't hiding eggs.
    So , my question is- is that normal? For one to be so far behind the others in egg laying? They are all the same size, same fluffiness, same comb color etc. I have no clue which one is not laying.
    Everyone else is still producing an egg a day. Every so often I'll get 1 less. The weather hasn't been to cold at all. I've looked them all over and none show any signs of illness.
    Is there ever a case where a girl never lays an egg?

2. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    I just had one start laying this week that is nine months old so don't give up hope just yet.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It's normal (as normal as the chicken world can be)

They all might be laying just once in a while 1 decides not to lay that day, thats normal also...

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My first to lay was 17 weeks. My last to start was 27 weeks. Don't give up.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My first to lay was about 25 weeks.

My last to lay... well... I dunno yet! They're nearly 7 months at this point but getting close (of the reddening wattles & new squatting* behaviors are any indication).

*For MP's benefit... I know, I know, I know. Squatting is a sign of submission & sexual maturity, not necessarily an indication of pending laying.

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    You said RIR mixes, mixed with what? That could have a lot to do with how long they'll take to mature. They may need a little extra protein, too.

7. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    Quote:as far as we know they are RIR and Buff Orp. They were listed as RIR but they look more like sex links and our Big Roo has white earlobes which supposedly indicates a mix

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by