7 months old, 5 laying for 2 months, 1 hasnt laid - How Normal is it??

LilBizzy

Chicken Storyteller
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Maryland
I have 6 girls that are RIR mixes. Four have been laying for quite some time now, and several weeks after the 4, another one joined in on the egg laying. One is slacking.
I know it's normal for them to vary on what age they start laying, but they all came from the same place, and this one is really , really behind the others as far as laying goes.
I have 2 chickens that escape the run on a regular basis. I have followed them, and did find the one was stashing eggs at a neighbors house, but followed the other around, and she isn't hiding eggs.
So , my question is- is that normal? For one to be so far behind the others in egg laying? They are all the same size, same fluffiness, same comb color etc. I have no clue which one is not laying.
Everyone else is still producing an egg a day. Every so often I'll get 1 less. The weather hasn't been to cold at all. I've looked them all over and none show any signs of illness.
Is there ever a case where a girl never lays an egg?

It's normal (as normal as the chicken world can be)

They all might be laying just once in a while 1 decides not to lay that day, thats normal also...

My first to lay was about 25 weeks.

My last to lay... well... I dunno yet! They're nearly 7 months at this point but getting close (of the reddening wattles & new squatting* behaviors are any indication).

*For MP's benefit... I know, I know, I know. Squatting is a sign of submission & sexual maturity, not necessarily an indication of pending laying.

Quote:
as far as we know they are RIR and Buff Orp. They were listed as RIR but they look more like sex links and our Big Roo has white earlobes which supposedly indicates a mix

Back
Top Bottom