7 months old..we have 24 and we are getting about 9 to 16 eggs a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JeninMN, Nov 17, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Is this normal?? We had some that started laying at 18 weeks and then a few more after that...but for the longest time now we've gotten between 9 to 16 (on a good day) eggs a day...so that means around 10 of them aren't laying yet? They turned 7 months old on Nov. 7th...

Oh, we have always had a light on in the coop during the day and now have been making sure that the light is on 12 to 14 hours a day..going to get one of those timers tho to make sure it stays at 14 hours every day.

Thanks!!

Jen

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Take a look at this link: http://www.allaboutchickens.tk/

I'm
    trying to figure out this whole first egg business too. According to my calculations, my pullets should have started laying November 15 (or thereabouts). Their combs are not bright red, so i am assuming they are not ready to lay yet.

But according to this chart, , they should start laying, and then go through molt and stop laying.

It's all a mystery as far as I'm concerned, b/c i was also under the impression that chickens only molted in warmer weather, and it certainly is not warm (at least where I am).

I know I am not really helping, but maybe this chart will help a bit.

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Just be patient they will all lay when time is right, don,t forget tat in winter all chicken slow laying due to the short days,

Good Luck.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    But according to this chart, , they should start laying, and then go through molt and stop laying.

Wait, I'm not expecting the pullets to start and then stop laying within a month or so, Miss. No, no! That won't be acceptable. They should start and then reach peak production - all things being GO - in a month or so. If they start laying at 5 months, they shouldn't stop at 6 months of age.

Young chickens have a kind of "mini molt" before they lay but then don't usually get into an official molt before they are about 18 months old. I looked at that timeline and don't understand it.

Jen, they may all be laying. Pullets often have some difficulty with the first few eggs out of the ovary. I've read that up to 40% never make it down the oviduct and are re-absorbed by the body. If your 24 pullets are performing at 60% daily, that's 14 eggs each day.

If feed, temperature, light, breed of chicken, etc. make it possible for them to lay on 95% of the days, they'll do it soon. It's just a little "hit or miss" for them at first. Of course, if they are not "geared up" to lay on 95% of the days, you may need to be happy with less.

Steve​

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Thank you Steve, I didn't know what to think about that chart.

[​IMG]

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo New Egg

Nov 19, 2008
    Dover, NH
    Related laying question:
    I have 2 Buff Orp. and 2 RI Reds that are all about 28-30 weeks old (all the same age). Three of these have been laying since late August-early September but one BO hen doesn't lay yet and her comb and wattles are not yet developed. The comb is just a small pale ridge on her head and the wattles are not even visible through the feathers. She is the same overall size as the other birds. Otherwise, she seems very healthy and is even a bit more feisty than the others, not letting me get as close to her as the others but much more willing to peck my outstretched finger. Is this just within the normal range of development? Thanks for any feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by