7 new chicks, looking for clues, is one a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nelsonsflock, May 7, 2011.

1. nelsonsflock

nelsonsflock Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    North-Central, Idaho
    We have recently added 7 new chicks to our flock, 3 americanas, 2 wynadottes, and 2 barred rocks. We have looked into all the ways to tell if you have a rooster and we still don't know. There is one of them, that chirps much louder than the rest and it seems like it makes the most noise at dawn. Does anyone know if this loud chirpping could be a clue? Could it being louder mean that it is a rooster? Could it be the begginings of crowing?

2. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    I am really new to this but I was told that if there was a white speck on the chicks head it meant it was a rooster. I am not sure if this is the case for all chicks. I am hatching barred rock and red island chicks. If anyone knows different please let me know. Thanks!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Barred Rocks are the ones that you can tell by the white spot. Generally they have to be around 6-8 weeks old before you can really tell if it's a roo or not on the others. Most look at the comb first, then leg thickness and other signs. For instance, if one has a comb that is obviously larger than the others and more pink, it's probably a roo. There are some that you can tell pretty early but those are the minority. Wait a few weeks then post picks in the "What Breed or Sex is This?" section and you'll get some pretty good guesses.

4. nelsonsflock

nelsonsflock Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    North-Central, Idaho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by