7 of12 Hatched so far! BamaChicken's Roo+BlackHens=Silver Chix?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnSuiter, Jul 24, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

We hatched 6 of our shipped Orpington eggs from BamaChicken on Day 20 and here they are warming up in the Snoozer brooder....
    [​IMG]

Introducing the silver chix! They are just darling!
    [​IMG]

Silver chix and their siblings.. basically black chix
    [​IMG]

And everyone after I woke them up from the previous photo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are 6 more eggs in the 'bator. 2 are definitely dead in their shells even though one zipped and one pipped and started to zip. (I wonder if I should remove those, they are open & grossing me out). That leaves 4 possible chix left, one of whom has pipped, the other three show no signs of life.. yet.

Added: hatching pics of the 1st three are here if you wanna see: Bodyflight's 1st Hatching Album

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  2. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Ohhhhh!!! They are so sweet!! I just love the silver coloring! Good Luck on the rest of your hatch!

3. DawnSuiter

Thanks steff! I think the silver looking ones are just so cute too!!

We had a 7th pop out while I was taking a little nap. Still no activity in the last 3 non-pipped eggs.

Still don't know if I should remove the 2 that died in the shell.. maybe I should when i pull the 7th one out of there later tonight...

4. DawnSuiter

Here's #7.. it's VERY small and was extremely lethargic in the incubator. I would whistle to it and it just blinked.. beak on the floor. I don't know what happened, it WAS active. I decided to put it in the brooder and see what happens, I was worried that 100 degrees and 81% humidity was just sucking the life out of it.. I don't know.. but here she is.. TINY huh?

[​IMG]

Here is another pic of the darling silver one...
    [​IMG]

WARNING... SAD PIC TO FOLLOW....
    and here is the pic of our blue, that pipped, zipped and then died in the shell.
    I carefully removed the shell, its looks just fine, I don't know why it died. Another also pipped and started to zip and died. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by