7 raccoons for the month of june

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dchicken207, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    I see a lot of people posting about raccoons, we have seen 7 at one time here in the last month.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good job. I am not so skilled at catching raccoons.

Imp

3. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    We have trapped 10 since last month. Be careful relocating them though. If you get caught (laws may be different where you live) it is a $500 fine. This is due to the fact that they could have rabies. I have also been told if you do take them away, it would have to be farther than 20 miles! Don't know if this is true, but I guess it could be possible they could eventually find their way back. How far are you taking them? You sure it is not the same coon? [​IMG] We thought that was a possibility when we first started trapping. My daughter would say, that one looks familiar. We were taking them about 10 miles out until our ACO told me I could get in trouble. We now take them to the shelter and they dispose of them.

4. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    OH, BTW...tonight's trap is set with pepperoni pizza!!![​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Would you please let me out?

Imp- [​IMG]

6. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm currently battling several "relocated" raccoons that refuse to go into a box style (haveahart) trap. I really don't appreciate *cough cough* PEOPLE dumping them off at my place [​IMG]

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    For me, personally, I shot two raccoons this month on open land. One I shot trying to escape down a tree, the other I got on the side of my house when my motion light went off. They were a nasty pair, always together, seen them a lot over the past year but I never had chickens until this Spring, and never hunted them before. I also trapped one raccoon. I really hate raccoons, they are just trying to live and do their thing but they can be so destructive, I lost a cat to one(most likely, maybe a coyote) and one rooster. Also they are pretty cute so they can be deceiving. I've thrown marshmallows out in the yard the past few days and they have not been consumed, so I'm thinking for now the coon population is minimal.

Ordered a trap off amazon.com. It was a 68 dollar trap at my local feed stores and only 41 dollars + free shipping from them. If anyone is thinking of getting traps I suggest checking online, some pretty good deals. I made my own trap, and it was successful, but those coons learn quick. Good luck and keep those chickens safe.

9. cowdogcadillac

cowdogcadillac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I don't know how many I've trapped and released (to raccoon heaven) but it's a lot. Marshmallows are the best for me in the live traps. When I used other things I caught Possums . I think the cat food or tuna with holes punched in it draws them into the area. I just want the ones cruising for a bruising. My best was 2 in one trap. Don't know how but they ended up face to face and whooped up on each other till I got there to referee. Keep on trapping them and do everyone a favour and send them to the Big Raccoon camp in the sky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by