7 w old BO temporary whole body paralysis????? merek's?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pastrymama, May 31, 2010.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    she is 7 weeks old, living outside in her coop for the last month, using sand for bedding and the fenced in run is dirt and some grass. she is fed mannapro medicated starter with a bit of DE in it and DE in the coop and everyother day my daughter throws out a small handful of raw oatmeal. she also eats pleanty of dirt and ants and whatever else she can find, i put acv in the water. about a week ago, maybe longer, she started sneezing occasionally, no discharge, eyes look fine, poo is fine, checked for mites/lice, nothing. we have 6 other chicks. 2 of those are vaccinated for marek's and the rest are not(she is one that is not vaccinated) but i just got them 1 1/2 weeks ago and they are 8 1/2 weeks old. did i quarantine them? NOOOOOO! where did it say that in any of my books to do that with chicks. it didn't. the news ones were never mixed with adult birds so i threw them in. i read all about the vaccine vs. non and everything i found said a vaccinated bird cannot make a non one sick with mareks unless it also carries the field virus too. but these birds were in seculsion. anyway. rookie mistake.

so yesterday, my BO, who is small for her age and breed and feels extremely light, even before the new additions, but she was always the last to eat due to my roo who i don't have anymore....i go out to the yard and she is digging herself a whole but is flipping all over the place, other birds are stepping on her, feet twitching everywhere, it goes on forever! i've not seen a bird flipon to it's back before. she won't stop. so i pick her up and stand her up, she falls down on to her side and rolls over. again i pick her up, same thing. i do this a few more times with the same results. her legs are tucked under her, she's not peeping a sound, she's like a weeble wobble. crap, i run in to get my dh and by the time we came back out, she was walking around in a daze really slowly. i thought for sure it was off with her head last night. she is fine this morning, but what is this? yes, they are pets, but i won't be taking my birds to the vet. i agree with keeping the flock strong and am learning the hard way of what NOT to do, unfortunately.

no one else presents with this, but two others have had poo that's very watery for 3 weeks now. there is solid stuff in there and according to the chart it's what birds do when they are hot? thoughts?

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    The mareks vaccine does not prevent the virus from infecting a bird, it only prevents the symptoms (tumors/paralysis) from happening. Administration of the vaccine also does not prevent transmission of the virus; however, it does reduce the amount of virus shed in the dander and hence reduce horizontal spread of the disease.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like mareks and you'll need to put her down.

Watery poo in AZ is no big deal. it's because of the heat.

4. pastrymama

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    really, are you sure? she seems fine today. is that how it works? paralized for a few minutes and then gets up and is fine the next. what are other symptomsof this? is sneezing one of them, she opens her mouth a lot like she is choking or something and then she is fine. was she having a seizure when i thought she was digging that hole? did the new vaccinated birds bring this in to her or did we already have this. somethings she has been doing before the new ones got here. what would you do? this is my 6 year old daughter's last bird.[​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It could be a few things. I had a pullet go wobbly for 2 weeks & get better. we never figured out what it was, but your issue may be environmental. Black widow, scorpion, those awful nightshade plants that grow everywhere, moldy feed? I dunno. Sweet potato plants will cause LSD-like effects in hcikens.

If she IS better, it was probably not mareks--a downed Marek's victim does not get back up. However, if the symptoms continue, you'll need to cull her.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I agree with this post - a poisonous bite or something she ate could have caused the temporary paralsys - maybe even a hard bump or injury to her head. Marek's typically hits slower than that and keeps progessing - it will not start and suddenly go away AND even though it is possible for a 7 week old chick to get Marek's, it is much more common in pullets 12-24 weeks of age.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    yup, if she is up and about, I have no clue.

With mareks it just progresses and gets worse.

8. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on the fence...I've had experience with Mereck's disease up close and personal...I culled over 2 dozen chickens last year because of it. My thing happened because of someone else, but it shouldn't have happened if my birds were coop/run bound and not free rangers...Someone decided their chicken needed to go and dumped it in my yard with mine...end result? with a month i hada couple birds drop dead and start showing symptoms of mereck's...and so making the decision I culled them all. Killed me to do it to our pets and explaining afterwards to my 4 yr old at the time why all the chickens were gone (i lied like the devil of course)

I've been there done that and am not prepared to do it again, i'm careful but my birds still free range (i've moved have a neighbor who tests his birds regularly like I'm doing now) and our flocks of birds all intermingle. If i get another disease that isn't going to be painful or torturous? (all mine are vaccinated for merecks so i dont worry about the paralysis and junk with that one) but if i had to i'd cull chickens as they got to the point of possibly suffering, but if they aren't suffering, i'm not going to cull again. I just couldn't take it again culling pets with names and personalities...After the past 2 years I've had with losing pets I'm through with it and am just rolling with the punches and saying "let nature take its course" essentially...

but yes it COULD be merecks, but if she went down 'scratching' (sounds like spasms/seizures if she was on her side and such) and paralyized then suddenly seemed pretty well...it doesnt sound like it...However if it is mereck's you will know within the week I bet. once it starts showing visible symptoms they get progressively worse, and like one other poster says if they hit the ground they tend to not get back up...

keep us posted. G'luck

9. pastrymama

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    thanks. she is still fine as of today, eating, drinking, pooping, doing chicken stuff. i changed the food in case it was old and i didn't know it, what the heck do i know, i don't really know what feed is supposed to smell like anyway. but i went with this certified organic stuff instead since the rest of the chicks are 8 weeks and shouldn't need the medicated anymore. i will watch her and the others closely and be prepared to cull if necessary. i have sort of prepared the twin 6 year olds and the 4 year old about chick deaths and that sometimes that just happens and that perhaps in the fall we can start over with more (vaccinated) chicks. if anyone has any advice for me on my stupid mistakes, let me have it. really. just when i think i know what i am doing, i don't have a clue.

10. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had an 8 week old Sicilian Buttercup pullet do that a few weeks ago, or something like it anyway. I removed her from the others right away, mixed infant rice cereal with a watered down emergen-c multi-vitamin fizzy drink (about 10% of that to 90% plain water) and fed her that with an eye-dropper. I picked up some homeopathic hypericum pills at the suppliment store and dissolved one into her water twice a day. She wasn't able to drink the water herself for a few days as she was so wobbly, so I held her and gave her about ten droppers-full of food and water myself. After two weeks, she was getting better and was able to eat and drink on her own so I put her back with the others. After one more week in there, she was back to her normal self and is still in perfect health another two weeks beyond that. Give the hypericum pills a try!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by