7 week Chick can't hold neck up!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPooDo, Mar 10, 2017.

1. ChickenPooDo

ChickenPooDo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    My 7 week old chick is loosing function and can't hold her neck up. Now she can't walk. Anyone ever see this? I feel so bad for her. She was eating and drinking yesterday but is having trouble today. All other chicks that were in with her are fine.

[​IMG]

2. Try giving it nutri-drench. If it is not drinking, use a dropper and drop a little bit on its beak. Since it can't hold its head up you might want to hold its head up while it swallows. When you watch a chicken swallow they usually tilt their heads up. What are you putting in their water?:welcome glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

What type of food/treats do you feed?
    How long has she been like this?
    Has she been inside in a brooder this whole time or have you just now brought her inside?
    Is she pooping?
    Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's?
    Can you post a picture of how she is laying down? Are her legs splayed, do they seem paralyzed?
    Do you have vet care available?

See if you can keep her hydrated, give her some poultry vitamins containing Vitamin E, B2(riboflavin) and Selenium. As suggested by @cowboyclayt you may need to hold her or hold her head up to drop or syringe water into her. Go slow so she doesn't aspirate any liquid. Hydration is very important. You can also offer wet chick starter after you are satisfied that she is properly hydrated. You may need to hold her head up so she can eat that as well.

Keep us posted.

4. ChickenPooDo

Mar 19, 2016
    She is eating chick food. Only snacks they got were a half apple. Some chicken fundoo (meal worms, seeds etc.) And that is it. The night before last was the groups first night outside. I made them a pen separate from big birds. They were locked up that night in their coop (totally secure) no heat lamp. Weather was about 46 that night. I put chick boost in her water and Im giving her that by little drops on her beak. I made apple cinnamon oatmeal with some yogurt and water then blended till smooth and she ate a very small amout. I believe she is pooping. I got this chick about 1 week of age along with 4 others from a backyard breeder they are now 7 weeks. So not likely vaccinated. I also got 3 other chicks from another breeder that could possibly vaccinate but not sure. I'm wondering if its botulism. She was fine one day (first day outside) then the next morning she was walking funny hanging her head, came on fast

[​IMG]

5. If you don't have nutri drench you can mix 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (the Bragg "mother" brand unfiltered) in one quart of water. It might help.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    With her neck to the side like that I would suspect Wry Neck (Torticollis). Wry Neck is a symptom of various conditions like Vitamin E deficiency, head injury/trauma and certain diseases like Marek's, Leukosis or respiratory illness. Find a poultry vitamin that contains Vitamin E and Selenium - I believe Poultry Nutri-Drench has those. Give her wet chick starter - you can add a little chopped egg or tuna to see if this entices her.

Do you feel that she ate anything rotten like a dead animal, maggots or rotten moldy food? If so, then it's possible she may have Botulism.

Keep her warm and hydrated. Do the best you can.

FWIW The Marek's vaccine only prevents the formation of tumors, it does not prevent infection from the virus.

7. FarmerGirl1223

FarmerGirl1223 New Egg

Mar 8, 2017
    We had this happen to some of our chicks a few years ago. We got them for free from a school project, apparently the teachers pulled the eggs open because the eggs were not hatching.[​IMG][​IMG] I hope that this is different and that they will recover. Good luck

8. ChickenPooDo

Mar 19, 2016
    I'm happy to report that she is doing better this evening. We gave her poly-vi-sol and canned tuna. I thought she was a gonner this morning, she looked horrible her neck grotesquely twisted. She is back to standing, her neck still hanging down but she is eating and drinking on her own. Yay! Thank you all for the advice!

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad to hear she is improving!

Poly-Vi-Sol can be used to treat Wry Neck as well[​IMG] It has Vitamin E and the Tuna has Selenium. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by