1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week chick laid eggs - see pic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bleu chick, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bleu chick

bleu chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Just thought I would share....

I purchased a few chicks from McMurry in February so they are 7 weeks. They are in outdoor cages at night. In the morning I came out to find a tiny egg below the chick cages which are hanging on the wall. The adult hens were locked in their indoor coop all night so its not possible for another chicken to have laid it.

It is super tiny and way darker than any eggs I get from my laying girls. Plus it was found directly below the chick cages. The cages are at a slight angle so I assume it rolled out the back. The side wire of the cages is bigger than the bottom cage wire. Also, it was found neatly on top of their droppings.

The 3 chicks that are in the cage above the egg was a Black Jersey Giant, Golden Laced Wyandotte, and a Light Brahma.

The egg is an 1.5 inches long and almost an inch wide.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Whaaaaaaa???????

3. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness!!! That's crazy! [​IMG]

4. chestypuller

chestypuller Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Alaska
    u gonna eat it?

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    If I had to guess I'd say it's a fart egg from one of your big girls. I don't think a 7 week old chicks system is developed enough to produce an egg.

6. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    But the OP wrote that the big girls were locked in their coop all night - couldn't have been one of them.

Did you crack it open to see if it had a yolk? I have no idea if it's possible for a 7-week old pullet to lay an egg. It'll be interesting to hear from others, though.

7. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    The reason I'm guessing it's a fart egg is because I've had a similar thing happen only not this young.

8. Chickety Charcoal

Chickety Charcoal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Westchester County, NY
    Well, you know one of them is a hen! I am going to keep a close watch on my 9 week old chicks!

9. Matrix Escapee

Matrix Escapee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Someone pulled an april fools joke on you.

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I think so, too..those girls just aren't mature enough to lay an egg! Someone in your house is getting a really good laugh right now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by