1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week chicks assorted breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ambe0487, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I have a few 7 week old chicks that I kept form my last hatch. Can anyone give me insight on if they are pullets or cockerels please? Thank you all so much!

1. This one really confuses me. It still isn't fully feathered which leads me to believe cockerel. Mix of silkie and bantam cochin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Cochin I believe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. EE/Naked Neck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Silkie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mix of something... i would say it was a silkie but it doesn't have 5 toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Barnyard Mix- it has some big waddles and comb but doesn't get really red, just flashes pink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'm actually gonna go with all girls here. I'm not seeing a single cockerel. You look to have gotten very lucky.

#5 must be a Silkie - or at least a second generation cross back to a Silkie. The silkie-feathering gene is recessive so it can't come from a simple first generation cross. Multiple toes, on the other hand, is a rather tricky gene and I've seen plenty of pure but rather low quality Silkies with fewer than five toes.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

4. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    Oh that would be awesome and bad! Lol. I only have room for 3 more in my coop! I figured I would have more boys. I did wait until they were 5 weeks before I sold their other 15 hatch mates. I wanted to be sure personalities before I kept any of them.

I'm so excited to hear #1 & #6 are pullets, they are by far the friendliest.

I always love to hear the genetics with breeds! It fascinates me to hear what is dominate and what is recessive.

Thank you both!

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X3

6. ambe0487

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    I wanted to check in again to see if we were still on the pullet choice with these birds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by