1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week chicks losing feathers!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dermerchickens, May 2, 2014.

1. dermerchickens

dermerchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    I have 7 (almost 8) week old chicks. I see feathers in the yard and coop, I was wondering what this is, is it normal or is something wrong with my chickens? They look normal, but I see feathers in the yard and coop.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will lose and grow feathers like crazy while they are young. All is well.

3. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    Okay, thanks! I may just collect some for a keepsake..

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Good question, thanks for posting this.

My chicks are the same age and I see the occasional feather in their bedding and was wondering if someone was sick and/or getting picked on. They all seem happy and healthy though so I hadn't gotten around to asking.

5. Gayleyy

Gayleyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    Kentucky
    Mine did this too, and they all came out just fine! I think it is like a first molt, but not a full scale molt. I saved some of their feathers too! It is a big milestone! They are getting big! [​IMG]

6. dermerchickens

Feb 27, 2014
    Culpeper, Va
    Okay! :D

Thanks everyone!

7. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    I have not had any chicks lose feathers so young but im sure if they look good its not a problem...after 4 weeks I do give poultry conditioner small pellets for treats...jeff

8. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I wondered the same thing about losing feathers, your comment makes sense, first molt but not full scale molt. thank you

9. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    My girls are working on their juvenile feathers right now, and I've been wondering when I can expect their first set of grown up feathers. Is 7-8 weeks the right time for that?

10. cjpines

cjpines Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Placerville, CA
    I'm new at this feather thing. My chickens are 16 wks and started losing feathers about 12 weeks. It's not a full molt, they still look great. I just think as long as they are healthy and not losing in certain spots it's probably just teenager puberty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by