7 week EE feathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovethoseeggs, Aug 23, 2008.

1. lovethoseeggs

lovethoseeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Have 5 seven- week old EE's, however have one EE that looks like an Emu ... Only wing & head feathers. Will the rest of Baby Emu's feathers come in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jaimi

Jaimi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2008
    North Central Alabama
    [​IMG] Hehehehe, he looks like my Austrolorp did for weeks. For some reason it just took his feathers longer to come in. I called him an Emu too!

3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Are you sure it doesn't have bugs? Or it could just be pecking order establishment? Or it is just taking it a little longer like the other post said.

4. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Quote:There are no bugs or pecking going on, Baby Emu since time of hatch has been behind on feathers, just thought the feathering would have caught up by now. Coming to conclusion that feathers are far behind.

Thanks.
    Wanda

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Om my excuse me for laughing! [​IMG] I think it's adorable

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    [​IMG] It does look funny. Would some extra protein help the feathers? I've read that feathers use a lot of protein.

7. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Sometimes after losing them it could take a couple of months to grow back in so you may just have an emu on your hands for a while. [​IMG] By the way it is a very cute EE!

8. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Quote:It has full time access to Chick Starter and then get Scratch as a treat, except for the everyone now and then treat of the extra garden tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelon. I just assumed the the Chick Starter had all the necessary protein, etc. will have to look for additional protein for it.

Thanks
    Wanda

9. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Quote:It never had any feathers to loose, still has it baby down. It is adorable (just which I could figure out what sex it is going to be). But I know its still to early for me to figure out. It just looks so weird when hanging with the other chicks.

Thanks,
    Wanda

10. lovethoseeggs

Apr 12, 2008
    Southside Virginia
    Quote:Laughing is good, I do it everytime I go and visit the little ones. Emu with its long non-feather neck and legs.. Love to what it jump and try to catch a flying bug as it goes by.

This was Baby Emu on 8/9/08

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanda

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by