7 Week Muscovies & Questions Update pg 2 & More pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dianaross77, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    These kids hatched on June 18. The chocolate duckling is supposed to be a girl. The other duckling is supposed to be a boy. My questions:
    1. Is the "boy" a blue? We thought when he feathered out he'd be black/white. But his feathers are clearly not black.
    2. Shouldn't I be seeing a size difference (leg and feet size) by now if I do have a male and female?
    3. Does their amount of feathering appear normal? At what age should they be fully feathered?
    4. Can you tell these are my first ducklings? [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

But they are sooooo cute! [​IMG]

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Yes he is a Blue Pied it could be possible they are two of something..

4. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:Cool about the blue! I'm not sure if the breeder I got him from knows that he produces blue ducklings.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful Diana, as far as feathering I'd say they are right on, you'll see a big difference in the next couple weeks. As far as M,F, if you have both you'll be able to tell that also in next couple of weeks. [​IMG] Muscovies!!

6. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:Thanks Miss Lydia. I got them at our Chickenstock from a fellow BYCer. I am super happy that Nacho turned out to be blue pied!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Thanks Miss Lydia. I got them at our Chickenstock from a fellow BYCer. I am super happy that Nacho turned out to be blue pied!

Until i started on this thread I had no idea there were so many colors and patterns of Muscovies, you are blessed to have gotten both colors! So far most of mine have been either blk or blk and white and I have 3 solid white, now we're still waiting to see what our duckling is going to be, everyday they change.

8. dianaross77

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It's amazing how much I've learned about chickens and ducks on here. I love watching movies with chickens and pointing out the breeds. My husband thinks I'm obsessed but he's obsessed with cars.

9. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i think the blue pied one is a girl. the other is a bit hard from photo's but i'm leaning towards drake if i had to guess.

10. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    So, I am thinking that the blue one is a female and the brown one is a male. If you end up with both boys, we would be willing to switch a boy for one of our girls. Our past drake was a blue pied and we have only hatched out 8 ducklings that he has sired and they all turned out brown and white pied with just the 1 blue and white pied (the one you got). We have now sold the drake and we have brown and white pied drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by