1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7-week-old BAs, SLWs, EEs, WR - pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wordgirl, Jul 22, 2015.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I have some 7-week-old chicks that I ordered from Hoover's hatchery in June. They were all supposed to be pullets, but I know that they can only guarantee about 90% accuracy, and I'm worried I might have gotten a couple of roos in the bunch. I want to make sure I know what I have before I sell some next week so I don't accidentally give someone a roo who's hoping for eggs!

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

There are 3 BA's, 2 EEs, 2 SLWs, and 1 WR. 1 of the BAs I'm almost certain is a pullet, but I included her to compare against the other two.

Australorp #1 (I'm pretty sure pullet)
    [​IMG]

BA #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BA #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver Laced Wyandotte #1 (I think pullet, but wanted a second opinion)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SLW #2 (I think pullet, but wanted a second opinion)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easter Egger #1 (her color and feathering seem all pullet to me, but her comb is a little big)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easter Egger #2 (tiny; slow to feather; possibly suspicious tail and coloring; but very small comb...??)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    They are beautiful birds!

I agree with everything you were saying. The shape of the tails and brightness of the combs seems to point to roo in some, however, the rest of their body, coloration, ect seems to point towards a pullet.

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you! So you think probably pullet for all of them?

4. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Yeah, they are probably all pullets. [​IMG]

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Good! Even BA #3? If it was another breed, I'd be especially concerned that it might be a cockerel, but I've seen that Australorp cockerels usually have even bigger, redder combs by this age?

6. asteria01

asteria01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    they all like like pullets to me. sometimes the combs develop a tad bit faster, but if its a pullet the others will soon catchup to it and look the same.

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you everyone! Just to let you all know, all of these ended up pullets (I can't 100% confirm BA#1 since I sold her, but as she looked the most pullety at this age, I'm fairly certain she was a pullet, too). And EE#2 is still the smallest (and cutest) hen in my flock. :)

8. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm glad everything seems to have worked out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by