7 week old Birchen Maran and Barnevelder: Roos or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nagi, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Nagi

Nagi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    So Cal
    Both are 7 weeks old. I thought both were roos but now I have my questions about the Birchen Maran. What do you think?
    The other chickens in the pics are Rhodebar and Bielelfelders. All from Greenfire.

thanks!!

Splash Barnevelder. I think this is a cockerel? huge feet, big bodied mild mannered
    [​IMG]

I thought this Birchen was a roo, but it hasn't developed a comb yet. The wattles are starting to come in. He/she is very small and more timid compared to the rest of the cockerels. Sometimes has an upright stance, sometimes more low to the ground. Feather footed smaller feet. Is he a slow maturer and just looks feminine compared to the robust Bielefelder cockerels? thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure on your Splash Barnavelder, but I think that the Birchen Maran is a pullet, despite the rather red comb.

3. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    My barnevelders from GFF were very slow maturing. It was like 3 months before I was able to sex them. But if I had to guess based upon my experience with GFF barnevelders, you have a pullet.

4. Nagi

Nagi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    So Cal
    thank you! I will keep my fingers crossed!

5. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    You are welcome. Even though the comb and wattle of your birchen marans is pinkish, I would also say pullet. However, I only say that because by week 6, my birchen cockerel had a comb that looked like it could take on the world but itself. Also the pullets develop the silver (birchen) collar slower than the cockerels. Some of my 16 week old pullets are just now getting their silver to fill out. The cockerel has a silver color that can be see from an acre away.

6. Nagi

Nagi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    So Cal
    wow--your birds must be so beautiful-I can't wait til the birchen coloration kicks in. thank you again for the insight…and this makes me so excited…:-D pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by