7 week old Black Australorp- Roo/Pullet? 14 weeks old now on post #9

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GardeNerd, Apr 17, 2009.

1. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Between my neighbor and I we have 2 Black Australorps we are unsure of the gender on. They are about seven weeks old; they will be 8 weeks on the 23rd of April. I have a Black Australorp 2 weeks older than these two with not much comb or waddle development yet, but she was a runt of her bunch. Both of these two are showing some pink waddles and pink on the base of the combs, but yellow around the tips. One has a longer tail. Any help guessing gender? They were part of a shipment of pullets, but we are starting to think they aren't part of the 90% accurate.
    3 pictures of chick # 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She/he was very upset about being on here, she doesn't always stand like this. Other than the waddles, she looks just like and acts like my older Australorp.
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 - 3 pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
  3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    This is what my roo looked like at 7 weeks

[​IMG]
    See how red his comb is ?

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    here are pics of my roo and pullet

pullet:
    [​IMG]

roo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    #1 is a pullet and #2 is a roo
    they are lovely birds!

6. GardeNerd

With Australorps, do the waddles often develop this young? I know they have them eventually, but I was worried since my 9 week old Black Australorp doesn't have much yet, and they are flesh colored, not pink.

I have a leghorn Hybrid (Hyline W 36) and a Buff Orpington that are 10 weeks old and have yet to have any waddles, let alone pink waddles. Sorry, I am a real newbie to the gender development of chickens.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. GardeNerd

byrdluv and chicken women,

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics. It is comforting to see the difference and to see pictures of black australorps cockerels.

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My baby girls had yellow wattles and comb. The roos started turning red at about 6 weeks.

9. GardeNerd

Update: 14 weeks in new pictures. Any opinions on gender?, especially on #2! We are currently thinking they are both pullets, but the verdict is still out. I guess we are waiting for a crow or an egg.

#1 (turned out it is a Jersey Giant/ not an australorp) - 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 - 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    _______________________________________________________________________________
    Edited to update and add more pictures. Definately pullets. What a relief! The Australorp started laying at 23 weeks and the Jersey Giant at 26 weeks.

#1 The Black Jersey Giant is in the back on the right behind my white Hyline at 17 weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She is on the far right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  10. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Look at them all- they are so pretty!! Glad it all turned out alright!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by