7 week old black copper marans

carriebain

Songster
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
Lakewood California
It is really hard to get pictures because she is so dark! Another gender guess!
I guess pullet but need the help of my chicken loving friends! Thank you!!!

I'm not an expert on the breed, but with that comb I'd say pullet...I would think a roo would be showing much more comb and redness by 7 weeks.

Lady of McCamley

I'm undecided. The comb does say female, but it's not very feathered out, and those are some sturdy legs. I'm probably 75% sure it's female lol. You'll know if it starts getting copper in the wing/shoulder area, that's boy trait.

I agree, barely any feathers, very leggy, he reminds me of a baby ostrich! But comb is small and yellow with no waddled.
I had a mutt that I was convinced was going to be a roo...the size of the legs were enormous, snotty attitude, chest butting all the other chicks...but the comb was small and yellow...I kept thinking...give it time, that will change...those saddle feathers will show...the chick had some pointier hackles...it was only a matter of time right? Pressed for a decision I decided to give him away to my daughter who took him away to a farm. "HE" began to lay eggs at 13 weeks...wow...talk about an Amazon. I'm not so quick to jump to roo anymore if the comb is small and yellow in spite of Amazon signs.

Sometimes you just have to wait until they crow or lay. :p

Good luck with your little Marans...haven't tried that breed yet but it's in my someday wish list.

Lady of McCamley

I had a mutt that I was convinced was going to be a roo...the size of the legs were enormous, snotty attitude, chest butting all the other chicks...but the comb was small and yellow...I kept thinking...give it time, that will change...those saddle feathers will show...the chick had some pointier hackles...it was only a matter of time right?  Pressed for a decision I decided to give him away to my daughter who took him away to a farm. "HE" began to lay eggs at 13 weeks...wow...talk about an Amazon.  I'm not so quick to jump to roo anymore if the comb is small and yellow in spite of Amazon signs.

Sometimes you just have to wait until they crow or lay. :p

Good luck with your little Marans...haven't tried that breed yet but it's in my someday wish list.

Lady of McCamley
13 weeks!!! That has to be some sort of record, right?

My guess would be male for now, based off of feathering. However, the comb is that of a female. Post some more photos in a few weeks, and maybe I'll be able to tell more definitively.

1). Pullet
2). This. chick looks less than 7 weeks old
3). I've had Marans hatch with feathered shanks and then the feathering molts out and does not come back. Sad, but it happens.
4) this chick appears to be in bed? What's up with that?

Back
Top Bottom