7 week old black copper marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carriebain, Nov 21, 2013.

1. carriebain

carriebain Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    It is really hard to get pictures because she is so dark! Another gender guess! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I guess pullet but need the help of my chicken loving friends! Thank you!!!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm not an expert on the breed, but with that comb I'd say pullet...I would think a roo would be showing much more comb and redness by 7 weeks.

Lady of McCamley

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm undecided. The comb does say female, but it's not very feathered out, and those are some sturdy legs. I'm probably 75% sure it's female lol. You'll know if it starts getting copper in the wing/shoulder area, that's boy trait.

4. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    I agree, barely any feathers, very leggy, he reminds me of a baby ostrich! But comb is small and yellow with no waddled.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I had a mutt that I was convinced was going to be a roo...the size of the legs were enormous, snotty attitude, chest butting all the other chicks...but the comb was small and yellow...I kept thinking...give it time, that will change...those saddle feathers will show...the chick had some pointier hackles...it was only a matter of time right? Pressed for a decision I decided to give him away to my daughter who took him away to a farm. "HE" began to lay eggs at 13 weeks...wow...talk about an Amazon. I'm not so quick to jump to roo anymore if the comb is small and yellow in spite of Amazon signs.

Sometimes you just have to wait until they crow or lay. :p

Good luck with your little Marans...haven't tried that breed yet but it's in my someday wish list.

Lady of McCamley

6. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

pullet

7. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    13 weeks!!! That has to be some sort of record, right?

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess would be male for now, based off of feathering. However, the comb is that of a female. Post some more photos in a few weeks, and maybe I'll be able to tell more definitively.

9. carriebain

Sep 19, 2013
    Lakewood California
    Thanks again for everyone's help, I have another question! This bird started out with feathered legs, will that come back as she or he grows out?

10. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    1). Pullet
    2). This. chick looks less than 7 weeks old
    3). I've had Marans hatch with feathered shanks and then the feathering molts out and does not come back. Sad, but it happens.
    4) this chick appears to be in bed? What's up with that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by