7 week old BO cockerel?

iamtheallie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 17, 2014
Superior, WI
Hello! I am new to chickens and this site, I am hoping someone can help me determine if this buff orpington pullet is actually a cockerel. She is 7 weeks old. I'm suspicious that she is actually a he because her comb and waddle appear darker and more developed than the other pullets. I couldn't get really great pictures of her, so I hope these are alright! Thank you for your help!!

welcome-byc.gif

I do think it may be a cockerel, and I know it's not a buff Orpington, sorry. I'm guessing this bird came from a breeder, not a hatchery? Looks like a mixed breed/second generation sex link cockerel.

I got it from a feed bin, and I guess I'm not sure where they get their chicks from. But that explains why it doesn't look like other buff orpingtons lol. Thank you for your input!

Buff Orpingtons should be a solid, even gold color and have white/pink legs. This bird has the look of a red sex link hen, but the uneven coloring, darker shading on the wings, thick legs and comb lead me to think cockerel, so it would be a second generation sex link, meaning it's no longer a sex link.

I don't know if this realy makes a difference, but as far as behavior goes he doesn't seem to "rule the roost" and he is much nicer to the young chicks that hang out with them during the day.

Back
Top Bottom