1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old brahma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mercedesmarina, Apr 6, 2017.

1. mercedesmarina

mercedesmarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2017
    Hi I'm new here! I've had chickens about a year now (Americanas, speckled Sussex, and wyandottes) and recently picked up 4 brahmas per my husbands request.

One of the hens has some sort of sickness/injury. She stumbles around, appearing to had little control of her legs. She then sits back until she's in a laying position. Her eyes are half open, and her feet are very cold. She doesn't try to "grip" my fingers when I put them under her feet either.

She is eating and drinking. It's hurting my heart seeing her like this! If anyone has advice I would love some help! I have no idea what could be wrong!!! The only problem I've experienced with chickens thus far is my hens pull my roosters tail out, they don't seem to care for him much [​IMG] Thank you!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How long have you had the new birds? Do you know if they were vaccinated for Mareks disease? She could have suffered some sort of injury, falling off a roost or in a tussle with another chicken. How low is she in the pecking order? Sometimes weakness from dehydration or being kept from food, or even coccidiosis from being exposed to new soil, could be possible causes. Of course, Mareks Disease could be a concern, but I would separate her in a crate or basket with her own food and water. Add some vitamins and electrolytes to her water, or give 3 ml daily of Poultry Cell vitamins, and get her drinking. Offer some chopped egg and her usual feed. There are many conditions and viruses in poultry, so it may take some time to narrow it down. If she should die, I would preserve her body by refrigerating it in plastic, and contacting your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy and testing for Mareks. In the meantime, I would contact the place where you got the brahmas to ask questions about her condition.

3. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    I've been giving electrolytes, I picked them up Sunday. The lady I bought them from suggested electrolytes and that was about it. She also offered to exchange the bird out, but I was worried she'd just put her down
    :( and I really feel like there's hope for her.

I don't know what mareks is? How would I know if she has it/what do I do about that?

This morning she was still all stumble-y, BUT she was standing on her legs like a normal chicken when I stood her up!!! She still has motivation to make her way to food and water, so I don't think she's dehydrated.

My husband tries to prepare me that she may not make it, but I feel like she can, and she's so chirpy and alive still! I just can't give up on her and give her back.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vitamin deficiencies can cause leg problems, so I would keep her on a chick vitamin or give her a 1/2 crushed vitamin B Complex tablet into her feed daily--add a little water to some.Make sure that she is close to food and water. You can also prop her up with a rolled towel or use a chicken sling if she has trouble standing. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency is common in chickens, causing them to sit or walk on their hocks or elboews and the toes can curl under. It is more like she has something wrong other than Mareks, but it needs to be mentioned. Mareks is a contagious virus that causes tumors on the nerves, and inside or outside the body. It can show up normally between 6 and 25 weeks with paralysis in one or both legs, wings, or the neck. Most birds die from starvation. Here is a little reading about that:
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

5. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    Oh man. That sounds awful. I was reading about people making slings out of dust masks, maybe I'll try that for her. I'll go check tractor supply for the vitamins after work. I hope it's not mareks! The other 3 birds are 100% functioning so hopefully that's a good sign?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just don't worry too much about Mareks at this point. In most cases it is an injury or deficiency. Slings are for use for short periods to be close to food or water, but I would let her out every couple of hours to stretch and move about. Sometimes they can get out of them and get hung up. Here are some sling pictures:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. mercedesmarina

Apr 6, 2017
    Awesome, I'm home all weekend (were getting baby goats) so I was thinking I'd hang out with her in the sling for short bursts. I'm encouraged that last night and this morning I caught her standing like a normal bird! Hopefully she just needs some more vitamins and practice.

She's going to be super friendly since she's in my hands 500x/day haha.

I just found this forum, it's such a great resource but also makes me incredibly paranoid since picking is the only thing I've had problems with! I'm hoping having a brahma roooster might get the ladies in line. My paranoid silver polish is NOT in control of his flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by