7 week old buff Orp update - still not great

sarah hugs

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Siskiyou County in Northern Calif.
(yesterdays back story - 7 week old buff Orpington was outside for an hour or so when we noticed something was wrong and got her inside. She make an odd squawk/choke noise and closed her eyes a lot as we held her. I felt gently down her neck and where her crop would be. I felt and heard a very slight click, no more than I’d say a thin, thin feather or twig (?) and then I looked down her throat w/a flashlight, saw nothing even for the few inches I could see. I massage the neck and crop area and she closes her eyes. I know that its normal but she also scratched at her head several times. I dropped 3 drops of olive oil down her throat, massaged it. All this in between setting her into her cage and watching her. When she bends her neck down she seems pained. We raised her water up since she tried bending to drink but stopped and closed her eyes. She wants to rest so we are letting her but are afraid we’ll wake tomorrow morning with a dead pullet).

This a.m. she was still alive so I used an eye dropper to get more water in, mixed it w/spirolina pwdr for nutrition. Neither chick is interested in scrambled egg. She is still pained in her neck area, and weak. We let her and her sister out to run around the house and she moved around a bit, not too much tho. She wants to eat, stands on top of the food looking at it, pecks a bit but not much. Closes her eyes...

My question is 1) What can I get down her sore throat to keep her healthy enough to get past this (if she can)? Is spirolina enough or 2) What else should I put in the eyedropper?
IMG_4942.JPG

Could she have been bumbed or injured around her neck? Can you feel for any air under the skin? Once I had a chick who made a clicking sound because of a leaking air sac. Can you look inside her beak for any abnormal tissue or gunk? I have no experience with spirulina, but I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or similar electrolytes and vitamins, and give a few drops daily. Chicken feed made very runny with a lot of water can be held up to her beak. Other tempting foods may be canned cat food or tuna/salmon, baby food meat.

Back
Top Bottom