7 week old Chick Caught a Mole?!?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyinpa, Jun 29, 2008.

1. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    I've never seen any of our chickens (older and young) attempt to catch anything larger than a worm....

This AM, one of our 7-week old chicks was running around with a mole in its beak, attempting to get away from the other chicks who were chasing her - frantically trying to get a piece of the action.

Have any of your chickens or chicks preyed on things like mice/rats/moles before? Should I be concerned?

2. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    I'm not sure about a mole. I don't know if they could hurt a chicken. Learn something new everyday. Mine have gotten mice, baby snakes, and frogs, and once a poor unsuspecting bird gathering for a nest, but NEVER a mole. Does the chick seem ok?, I've been told that moles bite but don't know for sure. Check the chick over beak to tail and make sure it doesn't have any injuries, if no then just keep an eye on it for a day or so to make sure it didn't get hurt during it's recreational adventure.

3. hollyinpa

hollyinpa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Thanks. Will do.

The chicks hadn't been out in the yard long when I saw the one running with the mole in its beak. The mole was definitely dead and definitely newly dead - very limp. The chick didn't seem any worse for the wear. I'll keep an eye on her though.

4. hwerner

hwerner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Independence, KS
    If mole was already dead, then I would guess something else killed it over night. I just don't know how a baby chcik could kill something like that. Guess anything is possible though. It's usually my adult birds that capture the bigger targets, the chicks just join in on the fight of trying to get a taste. But ya, just keep and eye on her, sure she'll be fine. Maybe a stray cat or something else did the hard work and the chick was just getting the reward. happens here all the time. LOL

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had one batch of chicks about that age find a nest of baby shrews! Those are very tiny and they were running all over, playing keep-away, LOL.

6. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    My 1 week olds caught and killed (and played keep away with) a small frog the other day. So I'd imagine a 7 week old with a mole would be ok. My friend's chickens kill mice all the time and eat them.

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't think moles have teeth so she surely had an unfair advantage. That mole didn't have a chance.

I read somewhere that chickens are helpful in getting rid of mole hills. They don't like the chickens scratching the ground above their tunnels, so the end up digging deeper into the soil. They will still be there, but the annoying evidence will be gone. So, if you see a mole tunnel, you know where to park your tractor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by