7 week old chick died last night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by camjac, Aug 9, 2008.

1. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    My 7 week old light brahma chick died last night. [​IMG] I do not know what happened. When I let the girls out this morning they went right out but I only counted 5. I checked the coop and didn't see the remaining chick. I counted again and still only 5. I went in the coop and she was under the nest boxes on her back. She had not been pecked and was not missing any feathers. I just don't know what happened. The only thing I can think of is maybe she got chilled. They were moved to their coop last week and have been doing well out there. My question is would they still need a heat lamp at night? They haven't had one in at least 2 weeks (since it has been so hot). The temperature went down to 59 last night but their coop is solidly constructed with no drafts. I feel terrible that I might have been able to prevent this. She was such a pretty girl with all of her white feathers! Are there any other things I should look at to prevent this from happening again or is this probably due to the temps last night? I am just kicking myself right now! [​IMG]

2. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    I'm sorry [​IMG]

Sometimes something internal or external is just wrong with the bird. Like our poor little RIR chick Valentina...
    [​IMG]

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    My chicks were handling 60 degree nights at seven weeks no problem, and the coop isn't terribly draft free, so I'm sure it had nothing to do with cold. If she was cold, she would have just snuggled up with the others. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's tough.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm sorry for you loss. I personally don't think it was a matter of her getting chilled, if she was mostly feathered out and the temp. got no lower than 59. As sad as it is, sometimes they just die. [​IMG]

6. Javamama

Javamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    USA
    So sorry for the loss. If they have been in a coop, then it probably wasn't the temperature. I'm in central OH and mine seem to like the cooler temps we've had the last few days. They just snuggle together when they need to. It is so hard to tell what happened. Don't kick yourself too hard.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry for the loss of your Brahma. It is always so hard to lose them.

8. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    im so sorry

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  9. chickencaper

chickencaper Just Hatched

Sep 1, 2015
    Milton Florida
    I just found 3 dead and two dying chicks aged around 7 weeks old in their grow out pen. Everyone was frisky and eating yesterday. Fire ants on two of the dead ones but no one else. The rest of the chicks are eating and perky but now I'm worried about contagious disease and parasites. I'm switching them to medicated feed and adding a waterer with electrolyte/probiotic. So sad to lose them with no warning. I'm on the Panhandle of Florida. Half the birds are local source (breeder) and the other half are from a hatchery and were introduced 3 weeks ago. The dead/sick birds include local and hatchery and all different breeds. The hatchery birds were the 25 survivors from a shipment of 38. Not planning to use a hatchery again. Any ideas? The sick ones are pale and the perky ones are not but stools all look good. Running a fecal once I finish caring for the last 2 lingerers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by