7 week old chick gasping?!!?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Brook71, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Brook71

Brook71 New Egg

Apr 30, 2017
    I have no idea what started this, I have 7 week old black austrolorps in a brooder, have never set foot outside, yet, and from what I have read this far a chick is exhibiting symptoms of gaping worm? How do I test and how do I get rid of and do I need to separate her? Wish I could add video of her that I took

2. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    I am sorry your chick is not feeling to well. Here is a link you may get some answers from
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm not sure that a chick who hasn't been outdoors can have gapeworms. I believe gapeworms are caused by eating worms. I don't know if it can be passed on to the chick from the mother.

You may want to put "Gapeworms" in the searchbox above so you can learn about them. Is it possible your chick could have swallowed something that is impacting it's crop?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ps one test is to very gently swab the back of the chick's throat with a cotton swab- if it comes out red or pink tinged (from blood) or with the tiny worms attached you have your answer.

There is a particular wormer for them but, I am not familiar with it.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I hope the ER guys can help you, but I similarly would doubt its gapeworm. Lets hope is something as harmless as the bird adjusting its crop.

Good luck
    CT

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Brook71 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and a link to the ER Forum, I will just wish you and your little one all the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by