1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old chick threw up something purple, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zowie214, Feb 2, 2017.

1. zowie214

zowie214 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    Austin, Tx
    My 7 week old banty chick just threw up some purplish-pinkish liquid and a small purple blob. The chicks were just moved to a new location but should not have had access to anything chicks shouldn't eat. My boyfriend gave them a tomato and they have a seed mix that's mixed with their chick starter. He doesn't seem to be drinking an excessive amount of water, they were moved to a different house and have been separated from me, who's been their primary caregiver and the person they've most socialized with. They seem upset and confused about the change, but I don't think they should have health problems from that.

2. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Sure sounds like it ate something it shouldn't have. Did you investigate the blob? Pinking liquid not blood?

3. zowie214

zowie214 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    Austin, Tx
    It's definitely pink. My best guess is maybe a seed was stuck in his crop and he threw it up to dislodge it?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pink or purple?
    Tomatoes are pinkish.

Did you get a pic?
    Good thing to do when you see something weird it to take pic with a quarter in the view for scale.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Are your chicks getting grit? Or at least are they exposed to natural soil so they can find small gravel bits for their gizzards?

This is a common reason why chicks vomit up stuff they've eaten. If they have no grit, they cannot digest some foods.

6. zowie214

zowie214 Just Hatched

Jan 5, 2017
    Austin, Tx
    Yes they have grit mixed in with their starter. It was a couple of days ago now so no I don't have a picture . The liquid was a light pink color and the thing the chick threw up was a dark purple. He's been fine since then, but it was still concerning. I do think the purple object looked kind of like one of the small seeds in their food but I can't prove that really, it's just a guess .

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try not to worry. As long as the chick in question is behaving normally, pooping normally, eating normally, the vomiting may have just been due to an over-full crop. Chicks can be quite the pigs in case you haven't noticed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by