7 Week Old Chick Toenail Injury... Any Advice, Please?

GA Dad - Chicken Man

Chirping
9 Years
May 20, 2011
Stockbridge, GA
Ok, so I made the mistake of spending too much time in this section for many weeks before I picked up my five hens. But in all my reading I never came across a torn off toenail so I just did what I would have done if it were my own toenail. I soaked it and put Neosporin on it. I took an old milk jug with the top cut off and cleaned out really well and put in a couple inches of warm water with a mild soap in it. I Placed poor chicky in it and proceeded to hold her while we both watched a half hour of Cops on TV. After a couple minutes she sat down in the warm bath and went to sleep! After the half hour I took her out and placed her in the Chicken hospital (the cleaned out brooder) to let her dry. She was making quite a fuss at this point due to being all alone! So after it got dark I took her out to the coop and placed her on the roost. After getting a clean look at the toe, I believe there is still part of the nail there but is there anything I should look for in the next several days? Anything I should do but haven't yet? She is my runt Barred Rock, of the five, and I've paid a little more attention to her and one of my Americaunas as they're my Favs! Thanks for your help everyone!

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like you've done an excellent job to me. I would probably put a dab of neosporin on a small piece of gauze and duct tape it to the toe. She wont be able to pull the duct tape off and it will protect the toe if she steps in poop, preventing infection til it completely heals. You can change it daily for about 3 days, it should be healed by then.
However, if it has already healed, I just treat with neosporin for a few days and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom