Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disease

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JaimeSTILLWATER

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 7 WEEK OLD CUCKOO MARAN vaccinated for Maereks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. STAGGERING AROUND, UNABLE TO STAY BALANCED
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 DAYS
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? NO
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.I CHEKED HER OUT AND NO VISIBLE SIGNS
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. NO
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. THEY ARE ALL ON STARTER CRUMBLE, WITH TREATS, WATERMELON,COTTAGE CHEESE,CORN, MEAL WORMS, ETC (ONE TREAT A DAY) HAVENT SEEN HER DRINK MUCH, BUT DOES DRINK FROM ME WHEN I GIVE TO HER, SHE EATS BY LEANING ON THE FEEDER FOR BALANCE AND HOLDING HER HEAD AGAINST THE TROUGH TO EAT
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. NORMAL
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? ONLY ME HAND FEEDING HER WATER AND WATERMELON AND COTTAGE CHEESE
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I CAN TREAT MYSELF
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. VIDEO IS ATTACHED
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use WHITE SAWDUST BASE IN COOP, 8X10, 8X16 OUTSIDE RUN WITH SAND, TROUGH FEEDER NIPPLE BUCKET WATER. HOUSED WITH 20 OTHER 7 WEEKS OLDS

Last edited:
Sorry, don't understand the reply? I have only seen her eat her starter pellets so I give her water by hand and treats on my lap as others push her out of the way and she would get no treats otherwise.
Sorry, @JaimeSTILLWATER - hit the reply before finishing - still getting used to this new format - my full post is edited above now --

Btw Welcome to BYC:welcome

Check her feet for bumble foot. That is usually a black patch in the middle of the feet. It can be excised, but it would require isolation, and antibiotics to heal from the removal.

What has been the treatment you have administered so far? ONLY ME HAND FEEDING HER WATER AND WATERMELON AND COTTAGE CHEESE
HAVENT SEEN HER DRINK MUCH, BUT DOES DRINK FROM ME WHEN I GIVE TO HER, SHE EATS BY LEANING ON THE FEEDER FOR BALANCE AND HOLDING HER HEAD AGAINST THE TROUGH TO EAT

It's hard to know. My first inclination is to treat her for Coccidiosis. Loss of balance, going off feed, somewhat fluffed appearance, lethargy.

Treatment is with Corid which can be found at your local feed store or online. Dosage is
1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day. After treatment provide poultry vitamins and probiotics/yogurt for a couple of days.

If she doesn't respond to Corid in a few days, then it's possible it's a vitamin deficiency.

Encourage drinking - dehydration comes quickly. Offer wet chick starter and give a few extras like chopped egg or tuna. If she is only eating watermelon and cottage cheese (fine treats) she is not getting the nutrition she needs.

fwiw - They are small babies at this time and your run may seem a bit large - but consider adding more space when you can. A general guideline is to provide 10sq ft. run space for each bird and 4sq ft coop space for each bird. If they will be free ranging most of the day and not confined to run only, you can get away with a little less run space.

Last edited:
Sorry, don't understand the reply? I have only seen her eat her starter pellets so I give her water by hand and treats on my lap as others push her out of the way and she would get no treats otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom