7 week old chicks can't walk. Fall over often

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by westwalesdave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. westwalesdave

westwalesdave New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    I have a mix of different breads of chicks. 6 in fact but 3 of them are falling over, they are eating pellets, corn and lettuce but the keep falling over and have done so for over a week. Any ideas what is wrong and what I can do? Thank you

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Are all 6 of them falling? Maybe ONLY feed starter chick for a while

3. westwalesdave

westwalesdave New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    No 3 off them are falling over and are inside. The other 3 are outside and are fine.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They may have a problem with your food. Chicks should be on 18-20 % crumbles only with just an occasional treat of something else. Corm has 8% and pellets (layer) only has 16%, unless you are using pellets that are higher protein. I think they are too young for pellets myself. Of course, you may be seeing the beginning of Mareks Disease since it can strike on average between 3-6 weeks. I would up there feed to 20%, and I would put vitamins including Vitamin E in there food or water right away.

5. westwalesdave

westwalesdave New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Yeh there on chick crumbs now! But the problem seems to be with their legs, there cold and can't grasp anything. There is no movement at all.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I keep PolyViSol baby vitamins in my chicken first aid kit for treating a variety of things, although I haven't needed it yet. A lot of leg and foot problems will clear up with thiamine, but Vitamin E seems to be real important, too. You can squirt a capsule into their feed pretty easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by