7 week old chicks dead no symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmcgeary2bye, Aug 15, 2011.

1. cmcgeary2bye

cmcgeary2bye New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    I have lost 3, 7 week old chicks in the last 3 days. I see no symptoms. In the morning one would't run out of the coop and by the next day she died. Yesterday, another chick. The are very lethargic. Can't see any bloody poo. I put one in quarantine last night but he is probably going to die. He is just alying there with his head down. Should I get some antibiotics and put it in all my chickens water. I have all different ages. They are out running around all day. All the others look great.
    Please help. very depressing
    Carol

2. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    its so hard to answer on just what you wrote....here in Okla it is so hot the heat is getting alot of chicks....can you give us more info

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Carol-

So sorry you are going through this! How is the environment they live in right now? Is it super hot, wet and humid where you live? Sometimes Cocci shows no symptoms, so it could be that. Corid is the drug of choice for my flock. You could also try Sulmet, but it's a bit harder on a chicken's system.

I am really guessing here though.....If you want to try an antibiotic, I would suggest Tylan. It works wonders. You can put it into their mouth with a dropper if they are lethargic and won't eat or drink.

Good luck to you,
    Sharon

4. cmcgeary2bye

cmcgeary2bye New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    Thank you for your response. I live in Naples Florida. Have had chickens for about 2 years. They go in their coop at night and I let them out in the day. I have noticed no blood in poo. They all seem perfectly healthy. I have all ages from 2 years to the ones that are sick. I feed them Manna pro but they really eat the free range stuff, bugs and all. I give them scrapes but I am very fussy with what I give them. They hang out in their little groups and these are all from the same group. I noticed the first one sickness from her not running out of the coop. She laid down most of the day. I don't see them alot as they are in the brush and trees behind the house keeping cool. At night she was the last one in her coop and that is when I put her in quarantine but she was dead in the morning. Same with the other two. It is hot but they have lots of places to stay cool and I give them fresh water all day. It is so discouraging as I just lost a lot of older hens to predators. Stopped that with loud music. I had a lot of flies in the beginning of the summer but they are not a problem now. I had to keep them in their coop for two days when something was eating them. I feed wild birds and they are always eating the wild bird seed. One even flies up in the tree to get the food. I just don't see any symptoms to treat. I was thinking maybe the coci thing that you mentioned. Hope this helps more. After losing them to the predator and now this it is very depressing. Antibiotics?? what kind and how much?
    Thank you for your help

5. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    I just brought a young roo into the house yesterday with similar symptoms. Lethargic, puffed up, pale, etc but I haven't seen any bloody droppings either. I did read that coccidiosis can present without bloody stools, so I'm treating everyone with Corid to be safe. With no other apparent symptoms and death as quickly as you're describing I can't think of what else it might be.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Treat for cocci, it can't hurt. It doesn't always present with blood in the stool.

7. cmcgeary2bye

cmcgeary2bye New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    Hi Nicole,
    How do I treat with corid?? What is the full name? Does tractor supply sell it?? I am going to run out right now
    Thanks Carol

8. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Corid is the brand name amprolium is the drug. Mine is a 20% powder that goes in the water at 1/2 tsp per gallon, but they make a liquid also. I don't remember where I got it but I think most feed stores stock it.

Sulmet is another one that people use but I think is a little more toxic to the birds especially if overdosed.

9. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:tsc does carry it both in powder form & liquid good luck !

10. cmcgeary2bye

cmcgeary2bye New Egg

Mar 16, 2011
    Oh,
    Some of my chickens are egg layers. the bottle says 10 days before slaughter, (I don't eat my chicks) does that go also for egg consumption
    Thank you Carol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by