7 week old chicks - when to move outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicksbunsdog, Oct 17, 2012.

1. chicksbunsdog

chicksbunsdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Our chicks turned 7 weeks old yesterday (5 of them - 2 Australorps, 1 Barred Rock, 1 RIR, 1 EE) and seem to be pretty well feathered. We live in Connecticut and the weather for the next week and a half seems to mostly be 60's during the day and 50's down to a low of 44 at night (with some rain coming this weekend). The chickens have been spending most days out in the run and then I bring them in to the brooder in our basement at night. I'm wondering when you think they can move outside full-time? I'd rather not put a heat lamp in the coop. They're no longer using one in the brooder. They're getting so big it seems like they'd prefer to be outside in the big coop. I know they're are a million posts on when to move them outside but they're seem to be a million different answers.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

you want to move them out side when they start jumping out of the box

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Since the weather is cool, as it is Autumn, the acclimation process is now!!! By this time next month, you'll be facing much colder weather with severe winter weather following that in the month of December. So, honestly, the kindest thing you can do is acclimate them now to the relatively mild temperatures we are still enjoying in October. They'll be just fine. We move our chicks out at 6 weeks. The birds will actually improve their feathering. It is amazing to observe nature at work.

4. Vicky2479

Vicky2479 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    I would have to agree with Fred's hens, do it now before it starts to get really cold. If they are not using a heater and are spend the day out already I would say they will be fine.
    I just moved my almost 7 week old silkies outside and they are just fine, there are only 2 of them and the weather here suddenly took abit of a dive afew days ago but they seem much happier. :)

5. chicksbunsdog

chicksbunsdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. They definitely want out of the brooder and yesterday was the first day I opened up the coop for them and they seemed to love it. They've been spending anywhere from 5-10 hours outside everyday and seem completely fine, no huddling together or anything. It's supposed to be a bit warmer tonight so maybe tonights the night! Thanks again for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by