7 week old...cockerel?

RootandRoost

Chirping
Aug 19, 2019
Norman, OK
He hatched from a Buff Minorca egg. His father is a mutt. (Mother red sex link, father Red sex link or another red rooster that my neighbor doesn’t remember the breed.)

This little fella IS a fella, right?

Attachments

goldysgirl

Crowing
9 Years
May 1, 2010
I am not sure. The comb is reddening up, but I don't see any feathers that scream rooster. Maybe someone will chime in.

BaaKaaawk

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Huntersville, NC
I'm going hen actually. The rear is shaping out like a hen to me, not a roo in my opinion. Usually by now there would be saddle feathers forming on a roo and his tail feathers would be more flattened not standing upward. I also don't see any arrow feathers on it's neck. Probably still a little early to tell, but I don't think anyone will be able to sex this bird with certainty at this point.

BaaKaaawk

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Huntersville, NC
The red comb and the prominent wattles at such a young age.
Ok. I'm curious to see how this one pans out- because I agree with you- but at the same time the feathers are saying a different story to me. Given that it is a mutt- I don't know how reliable the waddles and comb color are because of all the mixed types of birds. Will be interesting for sure. I hope the OP keeps us updated!

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
Ok. I'm curious to see how this one pans out- because I agree with you- but at the same time the feathers are saying a different story to me. Given that it is a mutt- I don't know how reliable the waddles and comb color are because of all the mixed types of birds. Will be interesting for sure. I hope the OP keeps us updated!
Pointed hackle and saddle feathers aren’t visible at 7 weeks of age.

goldysgirl

Crowing
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Were all three hatched together from the same parents? The 2 red heads do have bigger and redder combs and wattles. The white headed one has smaller, paler comb and wattles. If so, I am thinking 2 boys and one girl (white head) based on comparison. My guesses on young birds are usually most accurate when I have both sexes of birds of the same age and variety. The differences usually give it away. Either way, it's always fun to make a guess!

Top Bottom