7 week old...cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RootandRoost, Aug 22, 2019.

1. RootandRoost

RootandRoost In the Brooder

Aug 19, 2019
    Norman, OK
    He hatched from a Buff Minorca egg. His father is a mutt. (Mother red sex link, father Red sex link or another red rooster that my neighbor doesn’t remember the breed.)

This little fella IS a fella, right?

Attached Files:

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yes he’s a cockerel and so is the red head in the 5th picture.

3. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    I am not sure. The comb is reddening up, but I don't see any feathers that scream rooster. Maybe someone will chime in.

RootandRoost likes this.
  4. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Songster

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
    I'm going hen actually. The rear is shaping out like a hen to me, not a roo in my opinion. Usually by now there would be saddle feathers forming on a roo and his tail feathers would be more flattened not standing upward. I also don't see any arrow feathers on it's neck. Probably still a little early to tell, but I don't think anyone will be able to sex this bird with certainty at this point.

5. Fatimetta

Fatimetta Chirping

Aug 4, 2019
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I agree on pullet. The comb is pretty red but the feathers look like hen feathers to me.

RootandRoost and goldysgirl like this.
  6. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Songster

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
    In this specific case how do you know? I'm usually good at this but I don't see what distinguishing features you're seeing on this one?

goldysgirl likes this.
  7. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    The red comb and the prominent wattles at such a young age.

8. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Songster

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
    Ok. I'm curious to see how this one pans out- because I agree with you- but at the same time the feathers are saying a different story to me. Given that it is a mutt- I don't know how reliable the waddles and comb color are because of all the mixed types of birds. Will be interesting for sure. I hope the OP keeps us updated!

slordaz and goldysgirl like this.
  9. Brahma Chicken5000

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Pointed hackle and saddle feathers aren’t visible at 7 weeks of age.

10. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    Were all three hatched together from the same parents? The 2 red heads do have bigger and redder combs and wattles. The white headed one has smaller, paler comb and wattles. If so, I am thinking 2 boys and one girl (white head) based on comparison. My guesses on young birds are usually most accurate when I have both sexes of birds of the same age and variety. The differences usually give it away. Either way, it's always fun to make a guess!

RootandRoost likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: