7 week old hen, feather picking turned bad, what next?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Our7Wonders, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Our7Wonders

Our7Wonders Out Of The Brooder

I have a bad case of feather plucking going on and it's leaving my Austrolorps vulnerable to attack. For whatever reason they are the ones that are suffering the blunt of the plucking. I have isolated those that are injured, cleaned the wounds and applies an herbal healing spray. One is still pretty bloody though and I'm wondering if I should pick up some syptic powder to apply. She has about a quarter size wound just above her tail feathers, pretty raw. I lost a sweet little hen yesterday to this and I'm worried it's going to continue. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
    Debbi

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I like furazolidone (furall) . It's a topical antibacterial for wounds and sores. It sprays a yellow powder that sticks to the animal. The yellow lets you know the wound is covered. I use it on my goats also, its for all animals. It's around $8.95. Hope this helps.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I had this happen with a group of Orpingtons I was raising - it was SO frustrating - they were constantly pecking each other and causing real injury. I never did figure out why - the usual causes are cramped conditions, boredom, not enough food/water, etc. I ended up having to seperate just about everyone and wait until they healed completely (weeks!), then re-introducing them, by then the "habit" was broken. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by