1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old lav orps, boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellyk, Oct 15, 2012.

1. shellyk

shellyk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I've got 5 seven week old chicks, 4 are lav orps and 1 is a split black/lav. I'm curious how many boys/girls I have here. My pictures are not the greatest but they were running in every direction so this is the best I could do for now. I really appreciate the help and if anyone can explain what to look for in identifying them myself that would be great too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate to tell you, but Lavs. are extremely diffucult to sex until they are much older. I have 13, that are 16 wks. old and I am STILL guessing at 2 of them, and wasn't sure about any of them 'till 3-4 wks. ago. Pic #1 looks to be a roo, he has the posture and pronounced comb. I see waddles on pic #3 bottom left-roo. At this age a pullet will not have any waddles at all. They are late to mature, and waddles don't develop until point of lay or shortly before. Not having waddles while others do doesn't mean it's not a cockerel, it could just be a late bloomer. Leg thickness is a good indicator, and how they carry themselves ( a roo has a much more erect posture). Hope I helped a little. Good Luck. You should try posting your pics on the Lavender Orp thread, the Lav. experts over there are great.

3. shellyk

shellyk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    I was thinking that the one in the first pic was a boy too because of the posture. The one you pointed out in the third picture is the same bird. I guess I'll just have to wait and see on the rest, thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by