1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old Lavender Orpington --boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hyzenthlay, Nov 2, 2016.

1. hyzenthlay

hyzenthlay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Hey guys, can you confirm for me whether this 7.5 week old Lav Orp is a cockerel or pullet? I'm fairly certain he's a boy, but before I post him on Craigslist I thought I'd just get a few more opinions. For reference, the Buff Orp behind him in the second and last pictures is the same age, and clearly a pullet. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At 7 weeks that is a cockerel - are you certain of the age, though, as he looks rather large and developed for 7-7.5 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Definitely a cockerel.

4. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Thanks, @Cel45 .

@Ol Grey Mare , yep, hatched on 9/11! He is noticeably bigger and heavier than the other two I got that day, the buff orp and an olive egger (welsummer/CCL)--not hugely bigger, but definitely about 20% larger. He looked more substantive as a day-old, too--same baby down as the others, but a little larger. He also seems a bit more assertive than the others. If he's definitely a boy, he has to go, since I have a lot of neighbors and am already stuck with another cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. Very handsome, but too noisy for the city....

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, cockerel.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Too bad you have to part with such a nice, healthy boy --- but definitely understand. Hope you can find a good placement for him.

7. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    :( Thanks! I agree--I'd love to keep him, but I don't want to rock the boat with my neighbors....

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    handsome cockerel

9. hyzenthlay

Feb 26, 2009
    SW PA
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by