7 week old LF Buff Brahma...Male or Female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Got this chick at a chicken swap in october... the chicks came from Carole of Fowl Visions the chick will be 8 weeks old this coming weekend any ideas on what it is..I know brahmas take forever to feather out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I hope you wanted a rooster. [​IMG] On the plus side, buff brahma roos are one of the prettiest roos there are, IMO.

3. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    That's what I was worried about I would LOVE a rooster however...city says no no....and I LOVE brahmas had to rehome my first brahma roo this past summer oh well...its life on the plus side i have 3 bantam dark brahma eggs in the incubator hatched 2 already from a previous batch and have some Dark Brahmas from Fowlvisions coming in the mail...

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Don't rush to re-home him though. Give it about another two weeks. You should see that comb pink-ing up by then. Right now, his feathering or lack thereof, screams roo to me.
    ETA: The legs too. He's got mighty thick legs for his age.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm gonna have to go with boy. The face looks pullet-ish, but those legs are awfully thick!

6. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Yea I will wait a bit until I rehome it...if it is a boy hopefully someone will want him he is so pretty...screams and looks like a vulture right now though so did my other brahma.

7. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    I think its way too soon to tell.

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    My guess would be girl [​IMG]

9. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Lol thank you Tim and everyone else I'll post more pics when its looking much less vultureish ....so i went and looked at its legs and its legs are alot slimmer then my barred rock hen who is the same age as the brahma barred rock is HUGE compared to brahma too

10. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by