7 week old Marans cross - UPDATE NOW AT 11 weeks

texas_chick

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Texas
When I got this chick she was almost black with a perfect headspot. I picked her out of a brooder with Cuckoo Marans but apparently only her dad is a Marans because she is HUGE and unlike her sisters she has yellow legs.
Her barring also looks more similar to the BR chick than to her CM sisters.
She is the sweetest chicken though. Sits right down and lets you pet her, etc.
I am hoping she's a 'she'.
My husband thinks she might be a rooster because her comb is getting red but I believe all of the Marans (even the hens) I saw at the breeders' had red combs.
So here it is - pullet or cockerel?
7weekschicks.jpg

7weeksbaby1.jpg

7weeksbaby2.jpg

Updated pictures from today at 11 weeks old:

On the plus side: still sweetest chicken, sits down for petting right away, no crowing (yet);
worrisome part: she's getting very pretty greenish shiny black feathers all over and she is now definitely the most massive chicken I have.

baby_11_1.jpg

baby_11_2.jpg

baby_11_3.jpg

I think I know the answer now ... May 19, 2009

Last edited:
Quote:
Tada! There ya are! Was hoping you'd see this thread.

Now help me out, BO due to coloring and yellow legs? She said perfect spot as a chick, made me think pullet. However, red comb for sure! Now, the leg coloring, those stripes on the legs, does that help identify gender? or breed?

Thanks speckled hen! The queen of speckled hens!!

Quote:
I should mention it can't be Barred Rock since I got it locally from a breeder with Marans Roosters and Hens as well as assorted other hens so father is Marans rooster, mother is something else.
wink.png

I'm going on leg color and the reddening comb, however, I've been wrong plenty of times. The sexing rules of barred breeds won't work on about 10-15% of chicks and some will have mixed traits, making it hard to guess the sex early on. Let us know what it turns out to be!

Quote:
I should mention it can't be Barred Rock since I got it locally from a breeder with Marans Roosters and Hens as well as assorted other hens so father is Marans rooster, mother is something else.
wink.png

lol .. okay.. well.. I saaay... Some sort of Pullet! haha

*fingers crossed*

Back
Top Bottom