1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old orpingtons...roo or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kitkatjean, Apr 30, 2016.

1. kitkatjean

kitkatjean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    We are new to raising chicks and would love some opinions on whether these are ladies or gents. They are about 7 weeks old...one is a lavender orp and the other is a blue orp. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    The first one looks like a cockerel, and the second a pullet.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The first bird appears to be developing a pea comb rather than the expected single comb for an Orpington. Is that just distortion of the photo or is that true in looking at the bird in person?

4. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    At that age, they would have bigger combs if they were roos, so I'm saying they're probably pullets. Also, the feathers on their back are rounded at the ends, pullets are rounded and roos are more pointed.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That goes back to whether the first bird has a pea or single comb as pea combs are not going to have that sort of size development at this age as you would see in a bird with a more vertical comb type.

6. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    That goes back to whether the first bird has a pea or single comb as pea combs are not going to have that sort of size development at this age as you would see in a bird with a more vertical comb type
    That's true but theres also the feathers on the back of the chicks that indicate both of them being pullets.

7. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Does the first one have a beard and muffs? Because it looks like my blue ameraucana rooster. And that would explain the pea comb. I think it's a boy. The second one looks like a lavender orpington pullet.

8. kitkatjean

kitkatjean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Hmm...I wondered about the comb on the blue orp. It looked like a pea comb but I know they don't usually have one. So it's not a blue orpington?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Nope, not an Orpington. Not positive what it is (Ameraucana would be an okay guess, but there's not really beard/muffs), but it's a cockerel.
    At only 7 weeks, these birds are too young to have the sex (pointed) feathers you're talking about. Those grow in around 12ish weeks. these are just babies and don't have those yet. But that red plump pea comb is all male.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Exactly....this is a cockerel, too young for sexual differences in feathering.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by