7 week old pullet lost eye, now abscessed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SharkmanDan, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to be humane about things, but, I also am not certain that loss of one eye is grounds for merciful killing. To me it looks pretty bad, but, I am inexperienced.
    I found some signs of some respiratory infection, in a few of the pullets in this batch, on Tuesday, this week. So, I've been treating with an appropriate level of Tylan 50, since. The rest of them seem to be improving, rapidly. This morning. I saw this, and I'm just not sure what to do. I have Penicillin and Tylan 50 available. The water is still being treated with Tylan 50. Can I inject a youngster, like this? If so, how much? I have various sized syringes and needles, that could do the job. I just don't want to give this one too much medicine.
    Should I keep this one isolated, with heavier doses of Tylan?
    Or, is the humane thing, to just put her (assuming this is a girl) down?
    Please guide me.[​IMG]

2. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Seek professional help. I have not seen this before. But it doesn't look like a "death sentence". I don't think she`ll die if you bring her to the vet on time, nor do I think you should put her "down" without knowing if she can be saved.

3. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Keep me posted!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The pus needs to be removed, which is doable if it hasn't invaded too much of the sinus cavity. FYI, there is a slight chance the eye is still there.

Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  6. SharkmanDan

Whatever I do with this bird, must be done at home. There is no way, I can justify the travel, and expense, of an avian veterinarian, for a bird that cost me <$3. We're talking about $100PLUS, for a disabled person, trying to save a baby chicken.
    A vet, is completely out of the question..

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Get some tweezers and start digging. :D you might even be able to pop it out like a pimple.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    She may actually still have the eye. She needs to be isolated and probably have a warm salt water compress on the eye (If you hold her and watch tv you could compress 5 min, then use an old ketchip/condiment bottle and fill it to squirt over the eye and work that puss off. I would put a steroid or antibiotic ointment over the eye and repeat this every 8 hours.

1 person likes this.
  9. SharkmanDan

10. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Also I would give 1/2 cc of tylan orally with a dropper

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by