7 week old RIR not well.

hardmanzz93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
Loved this site for so long. never needed to sign up so far just loved reading all the threads.
i have 2 RIR chicks just over 7 weeks old in a cage, i have been putting the cage inside my existing run with a few isa browns to try and ease the process of letting them out in the future. i take them out of run at night and put them in the garage at night just for abit of safty, being in a rural area of australia we suffur with foxes. i went out to have a look this afternoon and one of the chicks was shaking, panting and had her feathers puffed out and wings away from her body...as it was a hot day i put a cover over the cage to giv her shade and she did get a little better but even when i hold her she doesnt fight or struggle like she normally does...was it the heat? any insight would be greatful.

sad.png
nobody likes my post

I haven't been on in some time - too busy with almost 50 chickens now. I might think of two situations- yes the heat, maybe a little overheating and dehydration. She is trying to stay cool by moving her wings away from her body, as you might recognize and panting is natural when chicks/chickens overheat. I would gradually change the temp for the chicken. Is it possible that she is being chased around and/or shooed away from the water? The alternative is that she might have an infection - in which case, she might need a boost. I might say a little apple cider vinegar in her water and a dab of yogurt on her feed.

I am an amateur owner so you might want to search the thread/stickies in the Emergency section. Also, if I remember right people won't see this unless they are in the Raising Chicks and this is more a medical situation.

Best wishes.

It sure sounds like you're right. She was definitely over-heated. Shade and water should help her. You could even mist her with a spray bottle of cool water. If she refuses to drink, you can just give her some water with a dropper, right into her beak. I hope she feels better for you!

Sharon (Here in Ohio, it's winter. It's in the lower 30s right now, which is actually warm for this time of year!)

iv put her away and she looks alot better she is drinking, i dont think there is an issue of bullying as there is only 2 i shall see what happens in the morning!!!! thanks alot guys!
cool.png

Last edited:
the chick is alot better if not fully recovered...though i must say still looking a bit puffy

Probably overheating. When my chickens overheat they like taking a dust bath in cool dust. But maybe you could spray the chick with a spray bottle filled with cold water... The chick probably won't like it, but it's the only fast cooldown thing I can think of right now
idunno.gif
Be sure to give the chickens plenty of water.

Luvroos, I love your yolk idea. I give all of my babies, at about 2 weeks old - cooled, scrambled eggs. For a group of 6 babies, I do 3-4 eggs and for adult birds I do 1 egg per bird.I chop them up into small bits and when I feed them it is like a shark feeding frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom