1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 week old RIR, pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shandy, May 18, 2016.

1. shandy

shandy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm confused, I read so many stories about not judging pullet or cockerel based only upon the comb and wattle, but I'm gonna throw this out there! What are your thoughts? Thanks :)[​IMG]

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Hmm, I'd say Cockerel

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Its built kind funny, maybe its just fluffed up. Are you sure its a Rhode Island Red?

4. shandy

Apr 26, 2016
    Good question. I got them from a feed store which labeled them Rhode Island Red pullets... I'm beginning to question any validity from them though since I'm sure at least 2 out of the 12 I ordered are cockerels.... And maybe this one. If you guess cockerel, is it just based upon the comb and wattle?

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 7 weeks old, gender can really only be assessed by comb coloration. Other indications of cockerels don't begin to really develop until after about 10 weeks. Regardless of the breed, pullets do not start to pink up in the comb until they are getting close to laying. At only a few weeks old, there is no way this chick is going to start laying in the next couple weeks. It's a cockerel.

6. shandy

Apr 26, 2016
    PERFECT answer!!! Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by