7 week old roaster leg problem and shivers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Goldendoodles, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Goldendoodles

Goldendoodles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to this forum and to chickens. This is my first batch . I ordered 27, 7 of which are Cornish roasters. I got cornish roasters instead of cornish x because they're supposed to grow a little slower and aren't suposed to have as many health problems, but one of mine went and got a gimpy leg, a week or so ago and now doesn't even move. ( just sits in front of the food and water) We've been hoping it would recover, but now it seems unlikely:(javascript:insert_text('[​IMG]',%20''); we have resolved to butcher him tonight. He's seven weeks old. But for the past few days he's been shivering on and off, especially in the mornings and even in the afternoon and evenings when it's warm. i'm just wondering if he's still okay to eat or if we should just put him out of his misery and dispose of the carcass.
    in the mean time the other 6 Cornish roasters are doing great.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I really can't think of anything you could catch by eating this rooster. Cooking will kill any bacteria if there are any. I'd butcher him and unless the meat looked wierd, I'd go ahead and cook him.

3. Goldendoodles

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank-you for your input. i figured it would be okay, but i am new to chickens (and loving them) and was not sure if he was sick and not just hurt.

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I say send him to freezer camp. It's that time anyway 7 weeks is a good time to butcher these types of chickens. You can go a little longer but then you take the chance of them dieing on you. I just cant seem to butcher a bird after it is already dead (although some will). He's probly shaking because he's in pain. Good luck!

Chef

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd eat it. Usually anything serious is going to kill the bird quite soon, but butcher it so you don't end up finding it dead and CAN'T eat it.

6. Goldendoodles

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank's everyone
    "Gimpy" is sitting in the fridge, and we will enjoy him for dinner tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by