7 week old roo not acting right

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheila3935, Jul 21, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    This morning when I went to check on my babies Lindy my biggest roo was all fluffed out not bouncing around like normal. I put him in the hospital cage gave him electrolites and a hard boiled egg yolk which he scarfed down. He seems to be eating and drinking fine, but his poo is green and a little runny. no sneezing coughing or wheezing just not acting real chipper and the green poo. What is wrong with him?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    i'm having the same issue and I'm losing birds!!!!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    this really scares me. About 3 weeks ago he had a crop impaction got him over that and now this! Im wordering if the two are related somehow. Im taking him to the vet tomorrow if he makes it through the night. So far so good. Still on his perch and drinking good still no respritory signs. All other chicks seem ok. Showing no signs at least not yet. Pray that its something simple and can be cured. He is my favorite.

4. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    How hot is it where you are? Could it have been the heat? You do say electrolytes and food seemed to be readily taken in...or has another rooster taken over and he has been defeated as flock rooster?? Just some guesses based on nothing in particular.

(Not that he could have been much of a flock rooster at 7 weeks, but, he could have thought he was.)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
  6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Thank you all and the poop pictures look nothing like what he is doing. His poo is like grass green maybe a little lighter. its not really runny just wet and sticky keeps getting stuck on his feathers and am having to clean off. He seems better this morning a little more chipper. Gave him some antibotics last night in his water, but still green poo. He is eating his crumbles right now so he is still eating/drinking good. Just seems a little weak. Checked on the others no one else presenting symptoms. Ill call the vet when they open to see if they have any suggestion or need to see him. We only have one here who even sees birds and not sure if they do chickens. Hope so.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Good news Lindy is feeling better to him to the vet. She said it was a bug he ate that caused the green poo. Found bugs parts in fecal sample. Told me to keep him on antibotics for 2 days let him rest and then put him back in coop. He's getting antsy being in that cage by himself. Hope columbia critter gets your problem solved. I'll be praying for you. Thank you for your help and concern

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: