1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 Week Old Roo? What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Someone.Summer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Someone.Summer

Someone.Summer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Alrighty, so I have a 7 week old black bantam rooster [?]. I'm pretty much 100% sure he's a rooster. But I just want to know if anyone wants to give me a guess as to what breed he is? He's the sweetest little boy <3
    Anyway, here are a few pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ^Yes. He is standing on the family cat... xD

2. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    I am going with Dutch

3. Dannee

Dannee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    What a sweet bahy!!!!

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Quote:x2. Pretty bird, pretty cat [​IMG]

5. Someone.Summer

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks guys! We definitely love the little guy. I'm thinking you guys are probably right, he does look like a little dutch!

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    He isnt totally SQ, too many points on his comb, but he would do well in 4h shows or local shows. [​IMG]

7. Someone.Summer

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info :]
    Just out of sheer curiosity, what should his comb look like to be show quality?

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Someone.Summer :

Thanks for the info :]
    Just out of sheer curiosity, what should his comb look like to be show quality?

A good single comb should have 5 points, no thumbprints or side sprigs, red, straight, large.
    I have a pair of dutch, and the roo didn't do as well as he could have because he doesnt have enough comb points and he has a thumbprint [​IMG]
    If you bred him with a hen who had a very good comb, the offspring should have better combs...​

9. Someone.Summer

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:A good single comb should have 5 points, no thumbprints or side sprigs, red, straight, large.
    I have a pair of dutch, and the roo didn't do as well as he could have because he doesnt have enough comb points and he has a thumbprint [​IMG]
    If you bred him with a hen who had a very good comb, the offspring should have better combs...

Hmm. That's very interesting. Would you say that he has seven points?
    I'll look into finding a hen with a nice correct comb, I'd like to see how it improves in the next generation.

10. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Someone.Summer :

Quote:A good single comb should have 5 points, no thumbprints or side sprigs, red, straight, large.
    If you bred him with a hen who had a very good comb, the offspring should have better combs...

Hmm. That's very interesting. Would you say that he has seven points?
    I'll look into finding a hen with a nice correct comb, I'd like to see how it improves in the next generation.​

He has seven points, with a very large one at the back. That would be a point detracted from his score, should you choose to show him.
    That would be interesting. Plus youll have an excuse to hatch chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by